What’s My Motor Worth?

I am considering putting a larger motor on my boat. The boat is a Nitro Z7, 18’ 8”, and is rated for a 200 HP. I presently have a 2009 Mercury 150 EFI (SN1B693339) on the boat. Boat and motor have both been garage kept since new, and are in near mint condition. Now the question, what would be a ballpark value of this motor and controls if I sold it to gather funds toward a new engine? I know this would depend on results from compression/leakdown/ and all other necessary testing that is appropriate prior to putting it up for sale. I am just in the information gathering mode at this point. Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NADA.com is a good place to start.

Don't know that I would sell all of your controls- if you're going to use a Mercury 4-stroke, many of them could be used with the new engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    OK, thanks. I’ll check NADA, and I know some local Merc guys to check with as well.

4. Member
    I would also check the motors for sale section in this forum and others to see what they are selling (or not selling) for.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    Some years ago I thought it would be a great idea to up grade to a 4 stroke. I went to my local dealer and talked to him. He talked me out of it. He said the most he could give me on a 96 XR6 was 4k and a new 4 stroke then was 15k. To me, that was not worth it. You may be better to upgrade the whole boat. Better off in the long run.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Have rod will travel View Post
    You may be better to upgrade the whole boat. Better off in the long run.
    With the cost of today's complete packages... probably not (unless you've simply outgrown the platform you have currently). On a 21 ft'er, you're often looking at 30K+ difference between new rig and repowering with just about any gizmo you want to add to the boat...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I had no idea 200 HP 4 strokes were so dang heavy. One brand I looked at weighed over 600 pounds! Ridiculous.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    150 ProXS is an option. The 200 V8 is actually not much heavier than the 200 Optimax was (the 200 Optimax was a common "optional" engine choice on that hull).

9. Member
    Put a 200 on it and it'll scream. Wish they didn't downgrade the rating on the Z7's when I got mine.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

10. Member
    The Z7 series boats need at least a 175. A 200 would be perfect.