Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    One of the things that helped my fishing a lot is to stop carrying so many colors. I only carry 3-4 colors of soft baits and 3-4 hard baits total if that. I keep it simple so I tend to focus more on keeping a bait wet and in the right spot rather than get caught up in the color trap. My catch rate went way up after I did that.
    This^^^. If the fish aren’t biting the two or three colors that I have confidence in, I’m changing locations.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I'm surprised how little importance people put on color. With tackle companies marketing nearly infinite color combinations I figured more people would be obsessed.

I can count on one hand the number of times fishing I saw color make a real difference. Not to say it couldn't happen without me knowing it. Most obvious was a crappie fishing trip with my BIL when we were both fishing black/chart twister tail jigs. Not much action at all until he put on a red body with a white tail and absolutely started hammering them. I switched to white and caught some, but only when I went to red and white did I start catching like he was. Like somebody said above, complete change of color. Going from watermelon with red flakes to watermelon with purple flakes isn't going to make a difference. Going from watermelon to pumpkin might have a small effect. Way more about contrast than color.

The most bizarre thing is that I've fished many times in the same places and same season and never again found red and white to be any better than other colors. Stupid fish don't know what colors are good I guess.

Adding or taking away flash is a different story IMO.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Action and sound of a bait is in my experience more important than color. I can use the same 2 colors of cranks and catch at any body of water I have near me. When I first got into bass fishing , holy crap I thought I had to have every color of crank and plastic out there but the last couple years, I have really slimmed down what I have and not only does that make it more simple to figure out what im gonna use but it builds confidence in what i have.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    Whenever you're developing a pattern, when do you change color? I normally have a couple of different cranks tied on that I run and see if I can get bit, but normally on a spinnerbait, jerkbait, topwater, or plastic, if they aren't biting it, I normally just put it down and throw something else and really don't think about changing color, besides maybe extremes. What do you guys do?
    I don't change until the fish stop biting what I'm throwing.

5. Banned
    I will add that I think color can make a difference if it’s a drastic change. Like changing from a blk/blue swim jig to a white one. Then I think color could make a huge difference.

Fish don’t care what color the metal flake is in a bait. Green pumpkin purple flake is not gonna catch anymore than green pumpkin blue flake. Lol

It has been my experience that color matters more with smallmouth. Have seen slight differences make a major difference multiple times and I carry more colors for my smallie tubes and drop shot baits than I do for my largemouth baits.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk Fisherman View Post
    It has been my experience that color matters more with smallmouth. Have seen slight differences make a major difference multiple times and I carry more colors for my smallie tubes and drop shot baits than I do for my largemouth baits.
    They are the reason I carry Clown Colored Rapala jerkbaits :) One year on Huron (Great Bay near Spanish).....sigh....what a day, but only on that color....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

8. Member
    I think color matters "sometimes". i was recently fishing the BASS Nation State Championship. On Saturday I caught good fish on a black worm. On Sunday they would not touch a black worm. Changed to green pumpkin and got bit. Exact same worm just different colors. I believe the difference was Saturday was cloudy and Sunday was sunny and it had an effect on them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12