Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jerry google mactools, go there and then warranty and returns. It lists the address to send them in

Quote Originally Posted by katdiesel View Post
    Jerry google mactools, go there and then warranty and returns. It lists the address to send them in
    The shipping is going to be the killer .. most of it is impact sockets and swivels extensions and a half in drive long handle ratchet.. has to be 60 +pounds worth of stuff .. that’s why my cheap ass has been waiting to hopefully get a new dealer .. luckily I have multiple sets of most things so I am not out of use yet

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    The shipping is going to be the killer .. most of it is impact sockets and swivels extensions and a half in drive long handle ratchet.. has to be 60 +pounds worth of stuff .. that’s why my cheap ass has been waiting to hopefully get a new dealer .. luckily I have multiple sets of most things so I am not out of use yet

Flat rate boxes.

4. Member
    My god Thor lay off the protein shakes. 60+ lbs of broken sockets etc lol.

5. Member
    Will Mac allow me to mail all my broken stuff to them ? Our dealers done no one else in the area .. guessing if they do I am paying shipping both ways ??

if you call mac tools customer service and tell them you are in an open route, They will send you a call tag to pick up tools. the tools will go to returns on columbus Ohio and after all are replaced they will return them to your address.
    1-800-mac tool=or=800-622-8665 push 1 than 3 to reach customer service
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member

if they will not issue a call tag, get with me and I will use mac tools shipping account to get you a good price on the shipping there. mac will pay for the return shipping

have you called customer service and asked about a local dealer? might be some closer than you think? about 1500-1700 of us total or so
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

Thank you for the help Mac .. will make some calls tomorrow

Just my take after 25 + years turning wrenches ... All the tool trucks in our area except for Matco have died, and he's teetering on the edge. There's a Cornwell truck that's been coming around, my money says he won't be here a year from now.

Snap On is only interested in selling mega tool chests and diagnostic equipment, getting service from them for broken tools is like catching a leprechaun and getting his gold ... good luck with that.

Add to that the trades are dying a slow death. Many of us are in our 50's and beyond, we're not buying tools at the rate we were 20 years ago and there's hardly any young blood coming in. Plus take a hard look at your potential sales area ... is it mostly chain auto care centers and quick lubes (where a tech doesn't need a lot of tools to begin with and turnover is high) or is there substantial industry with the numbers to support you ? You better look at the details long and hard is all I'm saying.
    Ranting incoherently

9. Member
    Thank you for the help Mac .. will make some calls tomorrow

update me with what happened after you call mac. they are closed friday also this week
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    if you call mac tools customer service and tell them you are in an open route, They will send you a call tag to pick up tools. the tools will go to returns on columbus Ohio and after all are replaced they will return them to your address.
    1-800-mac tool=or=800-622-8665 push 1 than 3 to reach customer service
    Good info. Our Mac and Matco guys went under a few years back and the nearest dealer is 300 miles away. Guy at our shop has a few tools needed exchanged, I'll pass the info along to him.

I like my snappy tools. My dealer is a nice guy, exchanges without much fuss, and runs good promos so I pick tools up at good prices. Keeps me coming back, and I'm a home gamer.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

11. Member
    One thing to remember is you're not a tool dealer. You sell and warrnaty tools, however the sad trooth is you're a finance company. 95% of the time sales are truck or company charges, not cash transactions. Either on a truck account you're carrying or on company revolving account. As I understand the dealer looses gross profit of the tool sale if they sell using the company revolving credit. Then to pay your debt and pay yourself you have to collect every week.

12. Banned
    Franchises of all kinds seem to keep their franchisees hungry. They'll get a tool truck or restaurant just about paid off, and the company will come in and make them buy new wheels or build a new restaurant building. And it's time to go into more debt.

And there's always new inventory to buy. Or literature that's very expensive to give out.

Franchises are where the good are good, and the less good lose their ass. I've seen some very successful Snap-on dealers.

13. Member
    As Harbor Freight adds more professional level tools that are made in Taiwan (same facility that makes a lot of Matco's and Gear Wrench's stuff) and offers no question asked over the counter exchange lifetime warranty, its going to put a huge hurt on the tool trucks. Go look up Harbor Freight Icon tools now. They have a box coming that is almost an exact duplicate of a snap-on.

Then you have companies like Tekton with quality stuff that will exchange anything if you e-mail them a picture and your mailing address. I have had new sockets arrive in 2 days.

One of the local tool guys quit selling and went on his own buying gear wrench and other name brand tools and selling them. He is doing well since the change over.

Snap-on guy: "Can I interest you in anything?"

Me: "Did you start selling crankbaits?"
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

Quote Originally Posted by vaw121 View Post
    Snap-on guy: "Can I interest you in anything?"

Me: "Did you start selling crankbaits?"
    Now there's an idea! A mobile tackle truck or maybe just sell stuff straight from the boat.
    Heartwood Fence Co.

16. Member
    Well let me say after doing it for 28 years,if you have enough money to get in the tool buisness dont walk away RUN AWAY if your love putting out credit then chasing it forever its for you.If it was not for good customers i would not have made it that long. By the way i went in before franchises and never would go franchise so big companys dont like it when they dont have control.
    Last edited by vl-475; 11-20-2018 at 05:43 AM. Reason: more info

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BPenrod View Post
    The money owed to you is on a revolving account, the money you owe to Mac, Snap-On etc is due up front.
    This! It can be done if the route assigned to you is good enough. At home they most fail,but the guy that has Tupelo,Ms. Has been going strong. A couple have done this into retirement. My first cousin is the district manager for Snap-On and is nearing retirement also. He has been with them for over 30 years. I would want to check out the route carefully. You need to be a great People person and also a great debt collector!

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyJ View Post
    As Harbor Freight adds more professional level tools that are made in Taiwan (same facility that makes a lot of Matco's and Gear Wrench's stuff) and offers no question asked over the counter exchange lifetime warranty, its going to put a huge hurt on the tool trucks. Go look up Harbor Freight Icon tools now. They have a box coming that is almost an exact duplicate of a snap-on.

Then you have companies like Tekton with quality stuff that will exchange anything if you e-mail them a picture and your mailing address. I have had new sockets arrive in 2 days.

One of the local tool guys quit selling and went on his own buying gear wrench and other name brand tools and selling them. He is doing well since the change over.
    It's nice HF is stepping up their game when it comes to tools, but you're not going to see the refinement you do with the US (or Euro made) snappy stuff. I have a few of the HF pro ratchets and they arent near as durable or refined as my Dual 80's. I like the quick exchange policy they have, but I'd rather not have to use it. Unfortunately my 1/4" drive stopped selecting on its second job and now rarely gets used in favor of a snappy. The socket sets suck balls too. They're a quality product generally, but too many skips in sizes. They're rounding out at a much faster pace than my Sunex are. Without a financing plan I dont see that icon box taking off. $8000 for a full setup is a lot to shell out, most techs are making payments and dont have that scratch laying around to buy a box with. The current HF is a great value box, but outdated and the Homak RS Pro series is only slightly more expensive with much better options.

HF is replacing Craftsman as the go to imo. Same quality (or better with regards to HF) and they still have stores selling them. Even with Lowes selling Craftsman now you have a shift since people went so many years without access to a Sears or a poor experience, me included. That being said my box has plenty of HF in it and it gets the job done, but my heavy use items are slowly being replaced with snappy.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

19. Member
    Just me thinking. Back in the day a guy bought a service station and owned it. Pumped gas and had a 2 bay garage with a helper. He made money and could afford to buy good quality tools.

Today there are mostly mega shops charging $100 an hour labor and paying the technician $12 of that. He can't afford tool truck prices and pay his bills.

Back in my youth I used to hear my grandpa say, "Detroit is paying those guys $50 an hour Union Wages to build cars to sell to people making $2.00 an hour." Basically it eventually wouldn't work out well. Which is why manufacturing left the US in favor of cheaper labor.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    Just me thinking. Back in the day a guy bought a service station and owned it. Pumped gas and had a 2 bay garage with a helper. He made money and could afford to buy good quality tools.

Today there are mostly mega shops charging $100 an hour labor and paying the technician $12 of that. He can't afford tool truck prices and pay his bills.

Back in my youth I used to hear my grandpa say, "Detroit is paying those guys $50 an hour Union Wages to build cars to sell to people making $2.00 an hour." Basically it eventually wouldn't work out well. Which is why manufacturing left the US in favor of cheaper labor.
    I promise there aren't many good technicians making less than $80,000 a year and most are over $100,000 a year. You have to pay to keep good technicians and employers are finally realizing it. I'm in the heavy equipment business and have been for 30 plus years. The tool trucks provide a convivence of allowing weekly payments and if you have a problem will be back next week to take care of you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast