Thread: Proper courtesy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proper courtesy

Say a boat is fishing the mouth of a canal. What is the right way to pass by. When the only option is to go through where they are fishing. And they have been sitting in that spot for a least 15 minutes.

You are talking some skinny water. I would kill the big motor and troll by them as far away as possible. when I got past them and it was deep enough I'd idle the big motor 50-100 yds and carry on. This would have to be a canal / stream and not a long pocket.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Ramming Speed!

I make less wake at 80+ MPH...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

no wake, wave say hi, and if they flip you off, give it back. they should not be blocking it.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

6. Member
    If it's a navigational canal the Fisheman should move to allow access to boats passing through..If there are channel buoys the Fisherman needs to move his boat outside the boys so traffic can pass by..
    I hear alot of talk back and forth on this out in Lake St Clair...but the bottom line is we cant block the flow of boat traffic and may be cited by an LEO..
    Hell, I've seen Walleye fisherman expect Great Lakes freighters to go around then when they are fishing in the Channels..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    If it's a navigational canal the Fisheman should move to allow access to boats passing through..If there are channel buoys the Fisherman needs to move his boat outside the boys so traffic can pass by..
    I hear alot of talk back and forth on this out in Lake St Clair...but the bottom line is we cant block the flow of boat traffic and may be cited by an LEO..
    Hell, I've seen Walleye fisherman expect Great Lakes freighters to go around then when they are fishing in the Channels..
    I've seen plenty of bites tossing right behind the boats wake as it's passing. I've almost bounced a sinker off a few passing pontoons....lol
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

If you want to be nice, get on your trolling motor while passing him. He cannot reasonably expect no one to pass a spot since he is fishing it. And if you waited 15 minutes you were being very polite in letting him fish the spot. Now if you are in a tournament and there are rules about how close you can get to a competitor then that is a different story.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

9. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    In true BBC fashion, hit them with a 1ounce jig.

Mark it on your GPS, then say “Thanks!………Big T next Saturday”
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

Is he a Professional? You can tell by the patches on his jersey

12. Member
    No wake makes sense. Especially if obstruction of view exists. However, in my experience I fish rivers and as much as I appreciate ppl slowing down it just wakes me out and takes more time. Just move along on minimal planing speed and don't hit anyone.

Depends on how close to him you have to come to get past him. I am fine with the wake you make at idle or wide open and trimmed out. I dont appreciate you coming by me dug in half plane. It seems few people understand they pull the worst wake that way. Guess they never look behind them. But also dont run by at any less than 40 yards wide open. 40 or more though, trim up and run on by.

14. Member
    Is it a no wake zone ? depending on how much room you have to get around him if it's narrow I would idle past them, if not hammer down as I would prefer being past by someone on pad as slowing down and create bigger waves.

Idle by, thier in a travel route.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

You can see where he's casting ... idle or TM behind him. If it's REALLY skinny I'd shut everything off and ask him where he'd like me to pass. Now that said, I'm an old school guy and that's the way fishermen used to do it. Not so much now!

Quote Originally Posted by mysuzytoo View Post
    You can see where he's casting ... idle or TM behind him. If it's REALLY skinny I'd shut everything off and ask him where he'd like me to pass. Now that said, I'm an old school guy and that's the way fishermen used to do it. Not so much now!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ This!!

18. Member
    I'd troll toward them and once they notice, give them hand signals I'm coming thru.
    If they want to object (not really a choice), ask me to wait 2 minutes (cool), pick a side for me, etc. I'll honor it.
    There's no way to helicopter over them, so just do it politely and don't forget to smile.

Get close enough to ask them how they prefer you to go around them. Give them the greeting of the day. Be friendly and act as you would hope someone else would do if roles reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Get close enough to ask them how they prefer you to go around them. Give them the greeting of the day. Be friendly and act as you would hope someone else would do if roles reversed.
    Run into it pretty often up here lots of little feeder creeks and guys tend to get a little heated when you want to go around them.. if they are heading into it that’s fine but many just want to set at the mouth... I try to give the option of them going in first.. I would say 50/50 on them being upset when I ask abd troll by them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast