Thread: Backpack blower

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Backpack blower

I have a hand held blower that I use for blowing leaves. How does a backpack blower compare to a hand held blower, and if a backpack blower is better would you recommend one.

I know that the stihl blowers are about as good as any as far as the backpack and handheld go , I've got both types and the back pack is way more powerful and I can't remember the model number but the bigger the better when you are blowing leaves . Probably gonna pay around $400.00 for a good unit .

3. Member
    No comparison. Backpack is far superior.

Mine is a Stihl that is about 20 years old. It has been great.

Stihl and Echo are two of the more popular brands.

4. Member
    Back pack have more power. Had my Stihl for 20+ years and only put a new gas line and spark plug in it. Most of the time living in a 20 a. woods.

5. Member
    Way better than hand prefer Husqvarna myself
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL Pro
    2023 Pro XS 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Dual CM2 8' Blades

Tow Vehicle
    2022 GMC AT4 3500 HD Crew Cab Duramax
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

6. Member
    I run a Sthil BR600. It'll blow a brick across my asphalt driveway.

7. Member
    The volume a backpack blow is much greater. Even if the air speed is not that much higher, volume makes a huge difference. Couldn't do my yard without mine. It's an Echo, but other name brands are just as good I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DURASPANK View Post
    I run a Sthil BR600. It'll blow a brick across my asphalt driveway.
    I also have a BR600, have for years, it's an awesome machine for sure.

9. Banned
    Husqvarna 150bt is what i have but only had it 6 years. Only do 2 yards a week plus a 1/2 acre family graveyard that is surrounded by trees. Paid about $300 for it new and not any problems of any kind. Got it from Lowes.

I have a 3 year old RedMax 8500, no comparison compared to a handheld or most other backpack blowers. Husvarna just bought the RedMax leaf blower line out. Time will tell if they will downgrade them to other's standards.

I usually run Stihl for all lawn equipment, but found a Husqvarna 150BT on sale at Lowe’s and pulled the trigger. $40.00 off.
    Second season with it, and it’s been the handiest piece of equipment I have. Not a minute’s a trouble, and top rated by CR. I still keep my 15 year old Stihl handheld around for quick jobs, but a backpack is the way to go.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

12. Banned
    I had an Echo back pack blower. At the time, I lived on the edge of 100 acres of green space--all oak trees.

The back pack blowers when gassed up are quite heavy on the back. And the noise--deafening. When running, back pack blowers have some torque pulling in one direction, and using one on a hill will wear you out and make you deaf.

I switched over to a Hitachi hand held gas blower, and it's much easier to deal with. I can get it down low and get the air underneath piles of leaves. It too has a little torque feel, but an hour with it is much less tiring than an hour with a back pack blower.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    Husqvarna 150bt is what i have but only had it 6 years. Only do 2 yards a week plus a 1/2 acre family graveyard that is surrounded by trees. Paid about $300 for it new and not any problems of any kind. Got it from Lowes.
    ^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Hand held for the patio, backpack for everything else..... Shindiawa,, hands down..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

15. Member
    I have the Husqvarna backpack blower as well. No comparison to a handheld. I’ve had this one for 3 yrs now and no problems. The only thing I don’t like is if you shut it down and then need to restart, you have to take it off to pull the cord to start it. Other than that, great blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Mo View Post
    I have the Husqvarna backpack blower as well. No comparison to a handheld. I’ve had this one for 3 yrs now and no problems. The only thing I don’t like is if you shut it down and then need to restart, you have to take it off to pull the cord to start it. Other than that, great blower.
    Agree they need electric start , with small battery .

17. Member
    X2 on br600

Love my Stihl backpack. Wanna say it’s a little BR400.. going on 6 yrs and starts and works like day one..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

19. Member
    Redmax 8500 -nothing comes close-try em all I told u so!!!

20. Member
    CFM and airspeed. If you don't have both you don't have anything. Stihl or Echo. Echo has a new one out. It's over 1000 cfm and high air speed. It's also $800. 200 mph 400 cfm is pretty stout and cost a little over $300.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast