Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer Tire Tread?

Hey There,

I’m hoping someone can let me know their thoughts on what’s going on with my tread. I replaced the tire due to feeling a wobble on the way home and saw my tread starting to look funky. Is this the inside separating (tire related) or issues with my actual trailer?

They’re Carlisle radials on a Ranger trailer, in case that makes a difference?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Broken belt?
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    It appears that the tire is delaminating...I’m sure there is a better term. Being a Carlisle I would think they would stand behind it, big company that makes a LOT of trailer tires.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    It is fixing to be a road gator.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    It is fixing to be a road gator.
    This! Tread is starting to seperate from the tire. Luckily you caught it in time those can tear stuff up at high speeds.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Was just looking at putting on a set of load range D Carlisles... now I am 2nd guessing...

7. Member
    I would not run them on my boat period. It looks like that is a Carlisle signature " Im getting ready to fail and take your boat fender with me" tire. As I have posted on several past occasions, Carlisles are made in China and internal tread separation caused by poor workmanship happens with them. I have had two blown and have lost two fenders on my Ranger trailer. Carlisle replaced the tires and paid for damages both times. Buy the US made Goodyear Endurance. They are a D rated tire as well.

Yup, it is about to pop. What is the date code on them?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I’m glad I replaced it right away. I emailed Carlisle and I’ll follow up with any resolution. The date code on the tire is “3114”, so 31st week of 2014.

10. Member
    I had one that look like that and when it was dismounted, you could see it had broken belts. I initially thought i had a bent axle, but after 2 years the endurance are wearing evenly.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

The RV guys always say to replace trailer tires every 3-5 years and you are well in that window. I tend to agree based on my towing experience. Throw on some new shoes all the way around and keep on moving.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 11-18-2018 at 06:57 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    When my Carlisle's failed they were just under (first blowout) and a little more than 3 yrs old (second blowout). All had really good tread depth still on them. On my second blowout after putting on the spare, I had to travel another 75 miles to get to a tire store to get a spare. The tire shop found the tire on the other side of my single axle trailer was starting to have belt separation. Your tire is 4 years old so don't be surprised they tell you that they are out of warranty. They pointed out to me that it looked like I was out of warranty on my second tire failure. But since their records showed that this tire was the replacement tire for the first blowout, they gave me again, new tires and money for the fender damage. I only kept those third set of Carlisle's on for about 1200 miles until I could get them replaced with the Endurance.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 11-18-2018 at 05:44 PM.

13. Member
    I am sorry but this 5 year bs is just that, another excuse for poor manufacturing. The real problem is the made in China on the sidewall. If a tire won't last 10 years then it is poorly made with the limited use and miles a lot of boat trailers see. I have 3 years and about 8k miles on a set of Endurance that replaced the originals on my trailer and they still look new, as they should. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    I am sorry but this 5 year bs is just that, another excuse for poor manufacturing. The real problem is the made in China on the sidewall. If a tire won't last 10 years then it is poorly made with the limited use and miles a lot of boat trailers see. I have 3 years and about 8k miles on a set of Endurance that replaced the originals on my trailer and they still look new, as they should. Cj
    Have you ever inspected the sidewalls of a ten year old tire ?
    I don't know about the Sun in Michigan --- But in West Texas the weather cracks would be deep enough for a scorpion to hide in.
    There's a reason most big tire shops won't fix a flat on an older tire.
    My partner bought a 6 year old boat from a widow whose husband had bought it new right before he died. The tires still had nipples on the tread !!
    First long trip he took the left rear came apart.. Put the spare on and went about 6 miles and the right front went and took the fiber glass fender with it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Have you ever inspected the sidewalls of a ten year old tire ?
    I don't know about the Sun in Michigan --- But in West Texas the weather cracks would be deep enough for a scorpion to hide in.
    There's a reason most big tire shops won't fix a flat on an older tire.
    My partner bought a 6 year old boat from a widow whose husband had bought it new right before he died. The tires still had nipples on the tread !!
    First long trip he took the left rear came apart.. Put the spare on and went about 6 miles and the right front went and took the fiber glass fender with it.
    Yep, I have a 18 year old spare on my boat that still has no weather checking, sidewall or tread. I have 1 trailer that has the 4 tires that were on my 2001 superduty, they were replaced from being worn out 2 years ago. They had a long life also. I understand where you are at about the sun destroying things but depending on the quality of the rubber being used by the manufacturer and exposure to the elements dictates how long it will last. BUT I have seen Chinese rubber that was junk after just a few years with hoses [I work in hydraulics] and tires. One front end loader we had lost all the rubber coating off of the hoses and wires in less than 8 years. The wiring was a mess and most of it had to be replaced. The tires were made in a different location [US] and the machine was from across the pond. Tires are still on it 15 years later! cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

16. Member
    Hi All-

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Based on this, I reached out to Carlisle to see if they could help me. They followed up with the below:

“You may still have a warranty on the tire; in order to process a warranty claim your warranty is two years from the date you purchase either the tire or the trailer if the tire came on the trailer. In order purchase a reimbursement for the tire if you have replaced it already or replacement please reply to this email with a copy of your original proof of purchase and a picture of the tire.”

I bought that tire in October 2016, so I followed the instructions above and received confirmation today that they’re going to send me a replacement. Glad they fixed the problem and followed up so promptly. I just wanted to share some positive feedback.

18. Member
    Man I still would not run their tires not unless I was desperate. Not only theirs but any other Chinese trailer tire as well. A lot of the RV companies are moving away from them because of all the failures and trailer damage. The one thing I will say about Carlilse, they are a stand up company about working with the customer on warranty and damage issues. But they still are a junk tire in my opinion.

19. Banned
    Yup same issue with mine. Except one of mine did separate... thought it was a bad axle on my ranger trailer but I laser checked it. Straight as an arrow. Swapped out tires, about 2000 km on the new ones with zero issue.

oh mine were Carlisle tires from ranger factory

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Man I still would not run their tires not unless I was desperate. Not only theirs but any other Chinese trailer tire as well. A lot of the RV companies are moving away from them because of all the failures and trailer damage. The one thing I will say about Carlilse, they are a stand up company about working with the customer on warranty and damage issues. But they still are a junk tire in my opinion.
    I concur, Endurance all the way! No China bombs on my rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast