Thread: Hook Keeeper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hook Keeeper

Just purchased a new rod without a factory hook keeper. What are people using for a keeper on rods without one installed.

Fuji - work great

3. Member
    I hook the lure to the reel on all of my setups.

4. Member
    Fuji for me also and I buy backup O rings at Lowes.

5. Member
    ty wrap with eyelet
    shopping.jpg
    "No man stands taller than one who stoops to help a child"

6. Member
    Small ty wraps..

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Small tie wraps with the eyelet is the way to go! I bought the flip out keeper that’s held on with the o-ring at BPS and while I like it, having to flip it in and out every time I pick the rod up or set it down drives me cray cray!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Fugi
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

9. Member
    i hate de-rigging my soft plastics to shove the hook point in a round hole like the zip tie and the fuji style can be made from some old spinning rod guides and a Dremel

On rods that do not have a hook keeper or have a small loop I take them to the local rod shop and have a drop shot style keeper put on so I don't have to de-rig my soft plastics and on some of my split grip rods I have started to have them put near the butt section and it works great ,,, cost very little to have them do it

None of the add on keepers I've tried have been satisfactory. They're either bulky or have a zip tie with a sharp tag end that is irritating and all of them want to slide up on the rod. Even the rods that have keepers, seem to be in the wrong place half the time.

I've been thinking about getting the keepers and thread and other necessities from someplace like Mudhole and learn how to do it myself.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MD11HOG View Post
    i hate de-rigging my soft plastics to shove the hook point in a round hole like the zip tie and the fuji style can be made from some old spinning rod guides and a Dremel
    Just cut a small section out of the eyelet out
    "No man stands taller than one who stoops to help a child"

Fuji seems the most popular, but it will wear into your rod over time leaving marks on the finish, if that's important to you. I'm using the daiwa version, which seems great on paper, no flipping motion just an oring to secure it, but to be honest it gets in the way more often than not. That's the one thing I disliked about my Dobyns Extremes (all Dobyns, I guess) they use the closed keeper design. But I've been slowing switching over to GLoomis, which have the open style and I much prefer it to any addon style.

Attached Images Attached Images

The only hook keeper that I have ever found to be worth a crap was the one on my Kistler flipping rod. I took some wire of similar diameter and made a hook keeper just like it for every one of my rods. I place it on top of the rod, a couple of inches above the cork foregrip. I wrap it with jig tying thread and add a coat of epoxy. Here's a pic of just like what I use:

Attached Images Attached Images
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

The trick to getting the zip tie to stay in place is a single wrap of rubber splicing tape around the blank. This tape has no adhesive and leaves no residue so there's no damage to the blank. Actually any thin rubber material would work, I just happen to use this tape for other things as well.

And yes, cutting a slice out of the eye is an option. As for the sharp tag end, either trim with flush cut dikes or a razor blade.
    Ranting incoherently

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    So that’s what that tape is for!?

I’ve seen it and wondered, that’s a great way to use it.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

17. Member
    Fuji! But getting them on can be annoying

18. Member
    I had the same problem until I brought it to my rod builder who corrected other things on my rod. I asked him out of the blue if he could add a D hook keeper. He said - "I already put it on"

19. Banned
    Cal coast makes a good one they have a slot for a hook shank

20. Member
    The best I have ever used is the Kigan. It does everything. Crankbait to texas rigs. It is a wonderful design. Put one on all of my rods.

http://hydrafishing.com/product/xla-hookkeeper/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast