Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    As for the warranty on the new block: Mine was replaced at 20 hours and the new block warranty expired at the same time as the old one. It did not start over, but it may be different with your motor since it’s older.
    I have never really heard exactly how that works. Your motor was pretty new so i can see it being the same time frame. However say you have a 2-3 year old motor on the tail end of the warranty and got a new block i would want coverage on the new motor for an extended duration. Be something to find out for sure.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    I have never really heard exactly how that works. Your motor was pretty new so i can see it being the same time frame. However say you have a 2-3 year old motor on the tail end of the warranty and got a new block i would want coverage on the new motor for an extended duration. Be something to find out for sure.
    My memory is sketchy, but I think the warranty was 90 days or the original warranty date, whichever is longer.
    I had a 1989 200 Mercury that was 2 months out of warranty when a rod cap came off and the rod came through the side of the crankcase. Thankfully, Mercury replaced it because as they said “That should never have happened”. I had to pay the labor, but they furnished a new long block and set the warranty at 90 days. However, that was a long time ago and warranties were only 18 months.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 11-22-2018 at 08:01 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Brooks Marine in Bryant is doing the repair. I'll inquire on new block warranty (IF ANY) when I pick it up. Supposedly it would have been good till July 2019. I've always changed the oil myself. It was still full
    after we loaded on trailer.

2014 Ranger RT188
    115 Merc 4s, laser II 20p
    humminbirds

4. Member
    I was told when mine let go with 20 hours that the original warranty would just continue with the new power head.
    If out of warranty you have 90 days warranty

Picked boat up yesterday, Haven't had it back on water yet. It was a rod bearing that came apart. He did say usually if that was gonna happen would be in the first 20 hours or so.
    New block (powerhead), have to break it in , of course. And warranty will continue through July next year.
    I owed $43 to cover oil. After talking with him it probably started over the summer when the engine was no longer dead silent after it was
    warmed up. Not a loud sound at all, but a bit of a ticking while at idle. He thought it could be caused from turning too many rpms, but he said tac was right and i usually only turn 5700-5800.
    Anyway, probably be after first of year before I get it on water , with work and weather and such....

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

These motors are designed fo run the specified max rpms. Unless you run wot majority of its life i dont see rpm being an issue. The computer gaurdian system will not let the engine overspin to hurt itself. Could of been a bad bearing itself poor tolerances feom machining huge list of possibilities. At least youre all fixed up
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Agreed! The great thing is that they stood behind their product and you should be good for many, many years. If a rod bearing went it was either installed incorrectly or it had an oiling issue. Rod bearings don’t just let go on motors that have a rev limiter unless the tolerances are way out of whack!

Not marine, but I’ve built enough small block Chevy motors to keep my local speed shop in business for years! If the machine shop did the work correctly I was turning 7300 rpm on stock rods and nitrous for years! It was dumb, but I didn’t know better and it’s what was available to me when I raced.

The chance of this happenning to your motor again are slim to none! I hope you get back on the water and get her broken in ASAP!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinSteve View Post
    Brooks Marine in Bryant is doing the repair. I'll inquire on new block warranty (IF ANY) when I pick it up. Supposedly it would have been good till July 2019. I've always changed the oil myself. It was still full
    after we loaded on trailer.
    Glad Randy got you fixed up. He can come off as a hard ass but deep down has a heart of gold. He'll tell you how the cow ate the cabbage whether it be good or bad. I'm just west of the Little Rock city limits.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I liked dealing with him.

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

10. Member
    85 hours is very questionable. I have been a Mercury certified tech for a long time and have never seen one blow up that quick unless it wasn't set up properly. I saw a 60EFI blow up from water ingestion at about 10hrs. The customer pulled the safety lanyard at wot and it bent the #4 connecting rod, when it sucked water in through the exhaust. That was a hard on to explain to the customer when Mercury refused the warranty claim. I have also seen people submerge them when they tried to take off with the motor trimmed up but even that's hard to do.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletV View Post
    85 hours is very questionable. I have been a Mercury certified tech for a long time and have never seen one blow up that quick unless it wasn't set up properly. I saw a 60EFI blow up from water ingestion at about 10hrs. The customer pulled the safety lanyard at wot and it bent the #4 connecting rod, when it sucked water in through the exhaust. That was a hard on to explain to the customer when Mercury refused the warranty claim. I have also seen people submerge them when they tried to take off with the motor trimmed up but even that's hard to do.
    This may be a dumb question, but, isn't that what the safety lanyard system is designed for (not pulling at wot for no reason, but cutting the motor at any rpm including wot when needed/ejected)?? I have never heard this happening would blow an outboard due to sucking water through the exhaust!! Good to know if true...I guess you wouldn't be dead from a boat prop getting you but would be buying a new 15k outboard if the safety lanyard is ever used...
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

12. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    How easy is it to suck water up to where it would hydrolock the motor? I always set it down nice and easy then look behind me to make sure I'm outrunning the wave chasing me but sometimes sh*t happens and you have to chop throttle quick for one reason or another. That said, the OP claims to have been balls to the wall on a long run when it popped so can't see how water would have been sucked in. Greers Ferry does get suicidal at times and tried to kill me one day when I had my big Charger 195vf. Can't see that lake being more than a light chop if an rt188 was running hard on it.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Member
    Only on four strokes. A two stroke doesn't have a valvetrain. When a four stroke is shut off at high rpms, they usually turn a few revolutions backwards. When they do, the water is pulled in from the exhaust and into the lowest cylinders. Water will not compress like air and bends the connecting rod. I just rebuilt a 2008 200 EFI Suzuki for a customer that ran into a sandbar and shut the motor off above 5000 rpms. He had 3 bent connecting rods on a V6. Read your owners manual and it will tell you that water ingestion through the intake or exhaust is not covered by warranty. Inboards have flappers in the Y-pipe that bend downward to let exhaust out and not let water back into the cylinder heads. I figure that someone is working on a system for outboards but nothing I have heard of yet. Two stroke outboards don't have a valvetrain and can be rotated backwards without changing the direction of air flow.

14. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Now I think I understand. So water ingestion would only happen in a 4-stroke if the motor is shut OFF while the exhaust in the midsection is under water? Must be a nightmare for guys who can't wait long enough for the boat to sit down completely before shutting off the motor and dropping the trolling motor
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Phew, that started to scare me! I was running across a lake a week ago and my boat just died at wot...I came to a silent stop and was like wtf!?!? I looked everywhere until I noticed the key was in the off position...the float must’ve gotten caught in the wind and turned the key off.

Started her back up and hasnt hasn’t happened again but I know my gut had a hole in it until I found out what was wrong! After reading what BulletV posted I started getting worried but being an Etec I guess I’m good, plus my boat never backwashes...you guys see some crazy things.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

16. Member
    Two strokes can actually run backwards without any internal changes. The Mercury Champ and the S3000 are basically the same motor except for the Champ is a standard rotation and the S3000 is a counter rotation motor (not done through the gearcase). If you want to do that with a fourstroke, aside from changing the ignition and starter, you have to reconfigure the cams. If you don't, it will pull air (or water) in through the exhaust.

Wow, This is not something I would ever think could happen. I am still trying to visualize how it happens.
    Does the engine actually run backward or is it driven backward? By what, the prop?
    Is the water sucked in through the exhaust manifold? Where does it come from, backwash?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletV View Post
    Only on four strokes. A two stroke doesn't have a valvetrain. When a four stroke is shut off at high rpms, they usually turn a few revolutions backwards. When they do, the water is pulled in from the exhaust and into the lowest cylinders. Water will not compress like air and bends the connecting rod. I just rebuilt a 2008 200 EFI Suzuki for a customer that ran into a sandbar and shut the motor off above 5000 rpms. He had 3 bent connecting rods on a V6. Read your owners manual and it will tell you that water ingestion through the intake or exhaust is not covered by warranty. Inboards have flappers in the Y-pipe that bend downward to let exhaust out and not let water back into the cylinder heads. I figure that someone is working on a system for outboards but nothing I have heard of yet. Two stroke outboards don't have a valvetrain and can be rotated backwards without changing the direction of air flow.
    Very interesting to know. I have had my dog laying under the console bump the emergency lanyard from it's connection before while running. I guess I'm glad I own a two stroke! I hate to say it, but if that's all it takes to smoke a motor, I would think twice about even using the lanyard if I owned a four stroke and was just going out on a calm day for pleasure boating/fishing. I know I will likely get flamed for that comment, but I think others may do the same if that is really all it takes to blow a motor!
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

19. Member
    If it really were an issue they wouldn't make 4 stroke outboards and the issue would be extremely common and well documented by now. As the Orange one would say "fake news"

20. Member
    Tim Kelly. You better read your owners manual!!! If you think I'm lying, go try it a few times and you will rethink your STUPID fake news comment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast