Johnson 150 tough getting into forward gear

Had a problem with my boat today. I went to move spots and started the engine. When I tried putting it in gear, the control went forward further than normal without going fully into gear and the lower unit was grinding but no fully engaging. When it finally went into gear the rpm's were way up and it slammed into gear and took off at very high rpms. I took it out of forward and put it into reverse with no issues. Tried to go back into forward and it did it again. After getting into forward gear, I could bring the throttle back to a low idle while staying in gear but I couldn't get it engaged without being at a very high rpm.
    What could be causing this? Is it an adjustment? It also seemed I was down a few mph on top speed. Any ideas?

I had to spend a day in a boat like that at the Eastern BASS Nation Regional Tnx and it was no fun at all. I wondered if we would even get anywhere let alone get back. Only difference is she didn't have reverse at all.
    My guess is you have broken parts in your control box or your cable is stretched and needs adjusting or replacement.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    More than likely the cable retention barrel has become dislodged from the cable and the cable will need to be replaced. Bad thing is the control box will have to come out of the boat for replacement. A quick check would be to disconnect the shift cable from the motor and manually move the shift linkage at the motor while spinning the prop with your foot. This will make sure that nothing is wrong with the lower.

4. Member
    Thanks both. I will look at those options

5. Member
    A quick update.
    I ended up taking this into the shop after I looked at it briefly. Got a call today that I have a broken cable. Everything else checked out good so I'm having both cables replaced and should be good to go.

6. Member
    More specifically the connection from the cable to the control is what broke. The mechanic said it was a huge PITA to get into the controls.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cojab View Post
    More specifically the connection from the cable to the control is what broke. The mechanic said it was a huge PITA to get into the controls.
    More than likely the cable retention barrel has become dislodged from the cable and the cable will need to be replaced. Bad thing is the control box will have to come out of the boat for replacement
    Not that bad of a job, just takes a bit to put the box back in place. Not my favorite thing to fix but better than replacing a steering arm bushing.