Banned

2017 Ford F150 Traction Control

What is it’s purpose and how does it work? I got onto a greasy stretch of Kansas dirt road and had no traction and no control.

2. Banned
    Turn it off on the dash.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Turn it off on the dash.
    I did, but when and why do you use it?

4. idbefishing
    You want to leave it on if you want control. Myself and family could have been in a lot of hurt if the traction control system hadn’t activated like it was designed to. It was raining hard, was passing a semi on I294 in Chicago. Truck loss traction, probably hydroplaned, traction control kicked in (symbol illuminated on dash) straightened out the truck. I thought we were heading straight for the median wall or the semi next to us. Thank you Ford.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It tries to keep you from spinning a wheel while moving at speed in wet or snowy conditions. But once it gets so slick you have problems moving, turn it off.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Was playing in the snow with mine and turned it off mid turn, as soon as it was off spun out. Wife was not impressed Traction control will not give you more traction just keep you from hurting yourself.

7. Member
    The system uses throttle and brakes to reduce wheel spin in low traction events. It also has RSC strategy to help keep the vehicle upright and pointed in the right direction in skids. The system uses many sensors such as wheel speeds, yaw, lateral/longitudinal, and more. The reality of your situation is the reason you had poor control was because you were actually on a greasy stretch of road, and the system was trying to keep you safe. The bad part of it is sometimes the system causes the vehicle to become unpredictable. Sometimes I like to turn it off. If you press the T/C button on the dash it reduces the traction/RSC function but to totally turn it off I think you have to come to a full stop, foot on brake, transmission in P or N, and press and hold the T/C button for like 8 seconds until the light starts flashing or a Traction Disabled message come on the dash. Next key cycle makes it go back on.

8. Member
    Ive wondered if mine even works. 2012 f350 diesel. If I give it too much pedal while its on it spins. If I give it too much pedal with it off it spins.

9. Banned
    I find it works for very slow speeds when there's lots of ice, like a parking lot or driveway. The brakes apply to slow down the wheel/wheels with no traction, and that forces the other wheels to start pulling.
    But..... if you need to keep momentum up, like up a hill in deep snow, and it's spinning a little, the TC will literally bring the vehicle to a stop. Shut it off and you're good to go.

Works great on my work chevy, damn near impossible to get that truck to slide the back end around on snow/ice.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

the chair shiners thought traction control would be a great addition to automatic trans in semi's . This is how it works---- when a drive tire spins, it applies the brake.

So a driver is pulling a grade, greasy but the chain lights aren't on, as long as you keep moving you are fine. Tire slips--- and the brakes come on,now you are stuck, because everytime you try to move the wheels spin, and the brakes apply. Sitting in the right lane on a mountain during a snowstorm, stuck .

Never drove an auto shift rig, or one with TC. Friends that are still driving have told me about the problems with them.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    I find it works for very slow speeds when there's lots of ice, like a parking lot or driveway. The brakes apply to slow down the wheel/wheels with no traction, and that forces the other wheels to start pulling.
    But..... if you need to keep momentum up, like up a hill in deep snow, and it's spinning a little, the TC will literally bring the vehicle to a stop. Shut it off and you're good to go.
    This was always how I thought it worked too. Same principal as if you don't have any TC to slightly apply the ebrake to help force both back wheels spin if you have an open rear end. I'm not sure mine does anything lol Well other than control that light on my dash that says its on or off lol

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Works great on my work chevy, damn near impossible to get that truck to slide the back end around on snow/ice.
    If your Chevy is like my old Chevys with the G80 were it has a clutch pack that engages the other rear wheel vs applying brakes. My Tundra has the braking, or electronic traction control.

14. Banned
    Traction control is like anti-skid braking systems (ABS) but in reverse. Keeps you going straight by tapping the brakes slightly.