Thread: Beaters

Beaters

I've been looking for something to tow my Z20 recently but think I've been going about it wrong. While I could ditch my everyday car and get a new truck I don't think it's really the best idea.

Does anyone here have experience getting an older used SUV with 100-150,000 miles for their towing? I tow once a week, 25 miles total.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    My 2 cents is you want a “truck sized” SUV to get a tranny that will hold up to that many miles and to towing. My experience is trucks in decent shape are easier to find and cheaper than SUVs in that class.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I have a 2003 Silverado with 140,000 miles and some change. I use it to haul the boat, camper, and whatever else. I probably put 10,000 miles on a year. It basically sits in my driveway the majority of the time and rusts away. I would love a new truck, but really can't justify it with how little I use it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattg589 View Post
    I have a 2003 Silverado with 140,000 miles and some change. I use it to haul the boat, camper, and whatever else. I probably put 10,000 miles on a year. It basically sits in my driveway the majority of the time and rusts away. I would love a new truck, but really can't justify it with how little I use it.
    How are routine maintenance costs?

5. Member
    A beater truck or suv would be good to tow with. For that sized boat I’d say go with a Dodge Durango or a Tahoe. The Tahoe’s are pretty pricey but both will tow that boat with ease. Dishes are known for rust but can haul some serious weight and there’s been a lot of guys on here that say a Durango stops better than a Tahoe. I have a 2014 Dodge Durango and even though it’s newer and not a beater, I can’t even tell my boat is back there
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by mattg589 View Post
    If yours is sitting rusting away putting 10,000 miles a year on then then idk what a person would call mine i only put about 5-6,000 a year on mine. 10,000 miles a year is alot to me lol
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Member
    Drove a 2000 Chev Silverado 176 k mi. and a 2001 Suburban 2001 Suburban 236k mi. Regular preventative maintenance kept both reliable and healthy. Both great tow vehicles. No major repair expense until 200k on the Burb-transmission.