Bass Cat Puma to a Pheonix 721

Well, I left the Bass Cat family for the time being. I got out of a 2009 Puma FTD and into a 2014 Pheonix 721 ProXP. I couldn’t resist it. I just got too good of a deal on the Pheonix. In saying that, I would like to say a couple of things in comparison of the two rigs. Previous to the Bass Cat I ran two different 20XD Bullets.
    1) Overall, the quality build of the Bass Cat is hands down much better than the Pheonix.
    a. Carpet – Much heavier and durable in the Cat.
    b. Trailer – Better quality in the Bass Cat custom trailiers. (The gatorhide is bubbling up under the gas tank fill vent on the Pheonix)
    c. Solid State Switches in the cat versus toggle style in the Pheonix. Plastic Dash Board in the Pheonix has a cheap feel to it versus the finished fiberglass in the Cat.
    2) Rough water ride will have to go to the Pheonix. It’s quieter and smoother than the Puma was.
    3) Speed is definitely better in the Bass Cat when comparing similar models of size and weight. In the Pheonix, I’m running 2-man full tournament load of about 75-76 mph with a 250 E-Tech and two 10’ power poles. Was hitting 78-80 with the Puma and a 250 Pro XS full tourney load, no power poles.
    4) I hate location of the gas tank in the Pheonix (not to mention it’s extremely hard to fill without burping back all over the boat and trailer). I can’t look and see how much gas is in the tanks like I can with the Bass Cat. So the battery compartment layout, access to pumps, and fuel tank location goes to the Bass Cat also.
    5) Fit and Finish is about the same but may slightly go to the Bass Cat.

Just dropping this to everyone thinking it may help someone make a decision in the future. Like I said, I would never have left the BC family had it not been for getting an extremely great deal on the newer Pheonix. I can promise you, after four or five years in the Pheonix, I will be looking for another Cat. Except this time, I will look for an Eyra.

Joey McCall

2. Member
    Good luck with your Bird. Does Marine Master still make their trailers? I thought I remember reading a while back that Phoenix was going to start making them in house. I myself had a couple of the MM trailers, and had some issues with them. Pretty tough to beat the BCB trailer quality.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    Yes, Marine Master still makes them.

4. Member
    I came out of a Phoenix to Basscat on the fuel issue unscrew the vent plug and screen and take it out and turn the fuel nozzle upside down that worked on my 920. Or take the top off above the gas tank and remove the filter on the vent line.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

5. Member
    Enjoy the bird! They make a damn good boat. Have many friends with them.
    Thanks for the comparison. The gas filling must be an Phoenix issue. They complain of the same issue.
    Tight lines!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

6. Member
    Phoenix

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Enjoy the bird! They make a damn good boat. Have many friends with them.
    Thanks for the comparison. The gas filling must be an Phoenix issue. They complain of the same issue.
    Tight lines!
    there is a updated vent valve hose I believe I read about--ask about this in phoenix forum
    Last edited by mactlman; 11-20-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Phoenix makes a very nice boat one other difference I’ve noticed between the two is the Basscat is MUCH more responsive to the trolling motor finishing in trees, timber, or bushes. Enjoy!
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

9. Member
    Sounds like the speed would be about the same if the Cat had 2 ten foot power poles.

10. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    Sounds like the speed would be about the same if the Cat had 2 ten foot power poles.
    It’s not. I’ve run both.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

I have owned a Cat and other brands over 30 years of boat ownership and can honestly say the Cat is the better OAL builder but they lag behind Ranger and others when it comes to design improvements. The P2 for instance is the oldest running platform without a design infusion and the console upgrade in 2017 is too little too late in my humble opinion. The boat is as close to pocket rocket perfection but its not the most ergonomic behind the wheel. Their premium line however is stellar with a pretty price tag to go with them.

Skeeter has adopting some Cat and Ranger design ques by minimizing or eliminating the surplus plastic trim. Plastic fades over time and that is what dates a boat. Cats use littile to no plastic and consequently they wear better over time. Sadly, Phoenix has yet to correct this deficiency. Their console is a great design but they could raise the wheel elevation a couple inches. Getting the wheel above the knees would be a huge improvement.

All in all, your new Phoenix will more than get the job done despite it not being a Cat.

Finlander,

The Pantera II and Sabre FTD are both on the redesign list. The direction of the market in the flourishing economy has those redesigns suspended. The market is changing drastically in fiberglass as people change habits. They are buying larger boats with much more equipment. The new Pantera Classic also has a very strong market following now.

The Sabre FTD and Margay now comprise about 40% of the 18’ market and that’s because it’s shrinking as people buy larger products. Nitro obviously leads the fiberglass 18’ segment and few companies focus on that sector, due to it not being as financially beneficial. There simply are less 18’ and 19’ offerings with companies changing.

Another way to see inside this segments (18’-19’) issues is retail price a 250 in comparison to a 200 and then a 175 and 150. The difference in the engines is minuscule in comparison to the expectations of the retail public. They want a price range on the final product of tens of thousands and there’s simply a margin issue. Most of the equipment is priced similarly and that’s the issue. Thus aluminum is filling that segment.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 11-17-2018 at 09:58 PM.

13. Member
    I was wondering if the design update for the PII was suspended.
    I plan on sticking with my PII for the time being. If I ever do plan on getting into a newer boat it will be another PII. Was hoping it would get an update.
    I would more than likely get into an Eyra before buying a Classic.
    Updates I would like to see.
    1. Console (Which is already done),
    2. Fiberglass center console. Same as available on Premium model boats.
    3. Adjustable TM pedal like the Eyra and other select premium models.
    4. Bilge access enlarged.
    5. The rear top cap designed like the Eyra with the step area pad which also allows for the better type of ladder.
    6. OR design a 19 foot Eyra and name it the PII!! Side scoops and all.
    That's IF I get rid of my current PII.

An additional comment to Finlander, Basscat is owner of more design improvements than most manufacturers. One of the big ones, the inset/Flush TM pedal. You can thank BCB for that one, and its now on ALL boats including aluminum.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 11-18-2018 at 08:45 PM. Reason: My brain couldnt decide whether to stay the OP's subject. I chose a tangent!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post

The Pantera II and Sabre FTD are both on the redesign list. The direction of the market in the flourishing economy has those redesigns suspended. The market is changing drastically in fiberglass as people change habits. They are buying larger boats with much more equipment. The new Pantera Classic also has a very strong market following now.

The Sabre FTD and Margay now comprise about 40% of the 18’ market and that’s because it’s shrinking as people buy larger products. Nitro obviously leads the fiberglass 18’ segment and few companies focus on that sector, due to it not being as financially beneficial. There simply are less 18’ and 19’ offerings with companies changing.

Another way to see inside this segments (18’-19’) issues is retail price a 250 in comparison to a 200 and then a 175 and 150. The difference in the engines is minuscule in comparison to the expectations of the retail public. They want a price range on the final product of tens of thousands and there’s simply a margin issue. Most of the equipment is priced similarly and that’s the issue. Thus aluminum is filling that segment.
    Don't change the overall length on the Pantera II or Sabre FTD. those are the only two in the 18ft/19ft market that will fit in my garage and accomplish what I want on my next boat in the next 2yrs. Everyone else is making their 18 & 19ft boats on the trailers too long and won't fit!

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

15. Member
    Good comparison for those looking. If I were ever to go back to a glass boat Cat would be right at the top of my list for all the reasons the OP brought up.

I have buddies that seem to buy new bass boats of different kinds all the time. They all will spit out a dud from time to time, including Cat. What I've seen over the years is very few companies have taken care of their buyers like Cat does. When I had a problem with my motor on the first Cat (not Cat's fault!) everyone from my dealer to the good folks at the factory stepped up to ensure I was taken care of in a timely matter. Cat is picky about who they let represent their product. It all starts at the top. I've NEVER seen another owner or even senior manager put their neck on the line with public knowledge like I have Rick over the years. I respect him for that.