Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    We spend a fortune on welfare nursing homes, what else should taxpayers do? For those that chose not to save or had some unfortunate situation arise thats when the family should help out.
    I'm just curious if you have ever had a family member get caught up on the extended care fiasco....? It was costing my dad over 2000 dollars a week for Hospice care at the end of his life...Sometimes the care goes beyond what the family can provide when pallative care needs arise....My father worked all his life and had good insurance and a Pension, plus over 6 figures in retirement savings...It didn't matter that was gone within 2 years between Extended care and Hospice...He basically worked his entire life to give it all back to healthcare...
    Name another country that drives their elderly into bankruptcy at the end of their lives for healthcare..Our lack of care of the Elderly shows clearly the lack of compassion this country has taken..
    Are you buying extended care insurance?? That may be the only way you'll beat that trap...and if your not I predict a rude awakening in your future..unless your one of the lucky ones that die quickly at a young age..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 11-17-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I'm just curious if you have ever had a family member get caught up on the extended care fiasco....? It was costing my dad over 2000 dollars a week for Hospice care at the end of his life...Sometimes the care goes beyond what the family can provide when pallative care needs arise....My father worked all his life and had good insurance and a Pension, plus over 6 figures in retirement savings...It didn't matter that was gone within 2 years between Extended care and Hospice...He basically worked his entire life to give it all back to healthcare...
    Name another country that drives their elderly into bankruptcy at the end of their lives for healthcare..Our lack of care of the Elderly shows clearly the lack of compassion this country has taken..
    Who else should've paid for it? Can he take the money with him? It sounds more like your upset because your dad used his money for his health needs instead of leaving you an inheritance.Taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook to make sure you get an inheritance. They sell long term car insurance, supplemental policies, etc. If you do want the taxpayer to pick up the tab you need to have your assets in a trust.

Who else should've paid for it? Can he take the money with him? It sounds more like your upset because your dad used his money for his health needs instead of leaving you an inheritance.Taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook to make sure you get an inheritance. They sell long term car insurance, supplemental policies, etc. If you do want the taxpayer to pick up the tab you need to have your assets in a trust.
    Wow.....just wow!

4. Member
    1st off...I am fine financially....I never have and never did count on an inheritance...I have substantially more assets than my father ever did..

So let me ask you this...are you fine with giving everything you worked your entire life for to an insurance company or would you rather your kids and family have it for their futures??? That is my hope but maybe I'm more concerned with my families well being than you..
    Are you paying for extended care insurance??
    And a trust is worthless for protecting assets from the insurance companies and medicare and if you had experience you would know that ...Basically if your wife is still alive she can keep the house but everything else is on the table...The only way around it is to put every asset into your kids names 5 years prior to needing care....Are you going to be willing g to do that and how are you going to predict when you will need care??..It could happen with a stroke tommorrow..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

5. Banned
    1st off...I am fine financially....I never have and never did count on an inheritance...So let me ask you this...are you fine with giving everything you worked your entire life for to an insurance company or would you rather your kids and family have it for their futures??? That is my hope but maybe I'm more concerned with my families well being than you..
    Are you paying for extended care insurance??
    And a trust is worthless for protecting assets from the insurance companies and medicare and if you had experience you would know that ...Basically if your wife is still alive she can keep the house but everything else is on the table...The only way around it is to put every asset into your kids names 5 years prior to needing care....Are you going to be willing g to do that and how are you going to predict when you will need care??
    Bottom line stuff cost money, if you want stuff you have to pay for it, not someone else. A properly structured trust will protect you if you desire.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Wow.....just wow!
    It doesn't bother me...Just another guy that has little life experience living in their little bubble....
    Zinn

7. Member
    Bottom line stuff cost money, if you want stuff you have to pay for it, not someone else. A properly structured trust will protect you if you desire.
    A trust will not protect you once you run out of funds and apply for medicare for continued care for your family member. .Like I said the only thing that will is to dump your assets 5 years prior to needing care....and if you have a crystal ball give it a shot..
    You also have to remember my dad paid into medicare for over 40 years...So why does he have to turn over everything to get what he already paid up front for??
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 11-17-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    Zinn

8. Member
    I write a check every month for long term care insurance.

9. Banned
    A trust will not protect you once you run out of funds and apply for medicare for continued care for your family member. .Like I said the only thing that will is to dump your assets 5 years prior to needing care....and if you have a crystal ball give it a shot..
    You can get a medicaid trust, look into that.

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Back on topic...I filled up for 2.24/gallon and was so happy today! And yes, Florida roads suck!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Went up 5 cents overnight here in PA
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

12. Member
    We spend a fortune on welfare nursing homes, what else should taxpayers do? For those that chose not to save or had some unfortunate situation arise thats when the family should help out.
    People in nursing homes don't typically need to buy gas. I am all about choices and consequences, but I am not king. Unfortunately America has been led down a path to look toward our elected officials (primarily life long career politicians who only care about re-eletion) as their care takers. We cannot really discuss that here.

I was talking about millions upon millions that live every day on fixed incomes. I have at least two sets of elderly in my family that actually get penalized on their Medicare because they made good choices with their careers. They pay MORE because they made too much money. They still have to purchase fuel, and all the other stuff needed to live.

Gotta run..going to see White Christmas at the theatre tonight. Ya'll have a good one.

13. Member
    Zinn

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    I write a check every month for long term care insurance.
    You are very fortunate to have the option. The underwriting is tough.
    It's not possible for me to purchase anything worth holding.
    My wife was denied immediately, Type I diabetic. I took care of her.
    But that's not always an option. We have a DAMN problem in America.
    Insurance, hospital & Rx industries are stripping our personal worth.

15. Member
    Man you people need to get out fishing more. Started off as a simple gas prices are lowering, then it became an oil worker vs public fued where both sides are accusing the other of being greedy and selfless, now it comes to healthcare, government bashing and family bashing. How hard is it to stay on track with the original posting without interpretation to start mindless endless arguments. Last few days I swear I was on Facebook during election season than BBC. Can’t we all just get along and not bicker? Life is too short to be miserable and make other people miserable to make yourself feel like you won an online arguement.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Man you people need to get out fishing more. Started off as a simple gas prices are lowering, then it became an oil worker vs public fued where both sides are accusing the other of being greedy and selfless, now it comes to healthcare, government bashing and family bashing. How hard is it to stay on track with the original posting without interpretation to start mindless endless arguments. Last few days I swear I was on Facebook during election season than BBC. Can’t we all just get along and not bicker? Life is too short to be miserable and make other people miserable to make yourself feel like you won an online arguement.
    Well said. And time to close this thread.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789