Thread: Sho oil change

Sho oil change

I’ve had an SHO for 3 or 4 years now and always paid to have it serviced. This year I’m planning to do it myself and bought all the oil and filters as well as an oil extractor. Question is though, in the book it’s clear to change the oil but never mentions the filter. I’m assuming extract all oil then remove filter and reinstall new one before adding new oil but I just want to be sure

2. Member
    You can change the filter before or after adding the new oil (or before you suck the old oil out for that matter). Just make sure you change the filter before starting the engine with the new oil in it.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

3. Member
    What oil extractor did you buy?

4. Member
    I bought one off amazon for 30 dollars. Comes with 1/4 inch line. I’ll report back how it works, I figured for once a year use it should do the trick

5. Member
    Personally I would pull the drain plug to get everything out of pan I wouldn’t suck it out. It’s simple and will drain in about a minute.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    Personally I would pull the drain plug to get everything out of pan I wouldn’t suck it out. It’s simple and will drain in about a minute.
    This...
    Never really understood the whole extractor thing... takes a minute to remove the mid section cover and there's the drain plug...

7. Member
    The extractor make an oil change a zero mess operation. There's no way I'd go back to the mess of draining the oil. I keep my boat in my warehouse at my office and have actually changed the oil in slacks and long sleeve shirt during the day. Didn't even have to wash my hands since I put on a pair of latex gloves before I started.

Suck all of the oil out and THEN remove the filter. There will be no oil in the filter either at that point.

I just buy the 100hr kit from Sim Yamaha. It comes with everything you need including a little funnel.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

8. Member
    I just take mine off and replace while pulling the oil out. Beware if it's the little yellow pump it has to stay flat. If it turns over oil will shoot out the front. That being said I would never go back to drain. Mine was 15 minutes of the wind blowing thin oil all over my driveway and yard.

9. Member
    Pump recommendation?

10. Banned
    By the way, the larger Yamaha four stroke outboards all use the same oil filter. And it's the same that Ford uses in their 2.0 liter Focus engines. I usually buy the Motorcraft filter at Walmart for far less than the Yamaha filter at a dealership.

11. Member
    IMO an oil extractor is not the way to change the oil if it has a drain plug. Run the motor to temp so the oil thins out and pull the plug. Yes it is more messy but you'll get more oil to drain out the plug than you will by sucking it out. Put a pigmat under the oil filter and it'll handle the little oil that's in the filter when you take it off.

12. Member
    I always suck the oil out of 4.2 liter Yamahas. It makes zero mess, and If done properly you won’t leave much used oil behind.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

13. Member
    Pulling the drain plug there is no mess or atleast not for me. I can do a oil change and lower unit change in about 20 minutes no mess no waiting on some little pump that isn’t getting the stuff out that should be coming out.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

14. Member
    Pump it out