T Dub

Yamaha tiller handle bracket...?

I hope my question makes sense. I purchased a used Yamaha 115 tiller and was told by a mechanic that the fabricated bracket connecting the tiller arm to the outboard is too weak and wrong to begin with. I'll post a picture and will try to get more pictures this evening if necessary.

Question: is there a part that I'm missing that can be purchased for the tiller to mate to the outboard or do I just need a better stronger fabricated bracket? I couldn't find any helpful pictures of appropriate tiller mounts.

IMG_20181022_163932447-2016x1134.jpg

2. Member
    The motor is a two stroke correct?

Four stroke would be an F115.

What year?
    Last edited by yam911; 11-16-2018 at 04:18 PM.

3. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    The motor is a two stroke correct?

Four stroke would be an F115.

What year?
    Correct, it is a 1999 2 stroke

4. T Dub
    Surely someone can help. I need this fixed before next weekend when the boat will be used heavily for the rest of the winter

5. Member
    There does not appear to be any missing Yamaha parts. Appears to me that someone converted a remote steered Yam to a tiller steered model by crafting their own stuff. A motor for which there was no conversion kit from Yamaha.

If the motor has been in use for a number of years in its current configuration without failing it might well last for the rest of its life.

Having said that, the attachment of the fabricated bracket to the Yamaha bracket appears to be funky. At the point where it bolts to the Yam bracket. If the fabricated bracket was redone so that it attached to the Yamaha bracket with two grade 8 bolts and lock nuts, with one leg of the bent bracket attaching directly to the Yamaha bracket, it would be as strong as any Yamaha production tiller configuration.

6. Member

7. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    There does not appear to be any missing Yamaha parts. Appears to me that someone converted a remote steered Yam to a tiller steered model by crafting their own stuff. A motor for which there was no conversion kit from Yamaha.

If the motor has been in use for a number of years in its current configuration without failing it might well last for the rest of its life.

Having said that, the attachment of the fabricated bracket to the Yamaha bracket appears to be funky. At the point where it bolts to the Yam bracket. If the fabricated bracket was redone so that it attached to the Yamaha bracket with two grade 8 bolts and lock nuts, with one leg of the bent bracket attaching directly to the Yamaha bracket, it would be as strong as any Yamaha production tiller configuration.
    Thank you for the response. Yes it has been converted from remote to tiller, but not sure how long it has been run this way. The mechanic who worked on my tilt/trim noticed the bracket and said it wasn’t strong enough and could possibly fail at speed. I was hoping there was a conversion piece/kit that would save some trouble, but if I have to just have another bracket made that’s fine.

I had it at a fabricator’s shop with a good reputation who could fix it but he let it sit for a week and didn’t have time to look at it and won’t have time any day soon so now I guess I’m looking for someone else.