1989 200 XRI EFI Input

Hello Merc world. I have a chance to get a great running, very well maintained 89 200 XRI. Was/is there any issues with these engines to be weary of?

Thanks
    Eric

2. Member
    Oh yea, and best prop for it. It will be on a 1988 20' Shadow. Looking for fully loaded and about 450 plus driver/passenger weight and a good start for P tp P height.

Thaks
    Eric

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Eric do you have the Serial Number for the engine in question?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    European AM, I am guessing you will know this engine, I believe it came from Greenville as did the boat. I will see if I can get it from him.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    OC157845, Why do you ask?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial#
    0C157845
    Model# 1200413GD
    MERCURY 200XRI ELPTO
    DOB: 12/20/1988

Overall were pretty good engines- early version of the Laser Injection System utilized. Keep in mind that it is, however, an antique (30 years). Parts are already becoming difficult to source for some components.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks Euro.. Wow I would have figured that parts were a dime a dozen. anything I should look for and stock up on, just in case?

Thanks
    Eric

9. Member
    Well apparently i need a poppet valve, or rebuild kit. It failed today and psi was erratic and over heated at times, but not to failure, uggggggg. Any ideas for replacements?

Thanks
    Eric

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Poppet KIT is available- Rhonda keeps those in stock.

Before you jump there- go to the SOURCE: The Water Pump. And yes, I understand you may have just been there. STILL recommend this as there is a pretty good probability that you have a gasket below the impeller plate that is torn or broken.

Did you buy the boat from Brent D ? in Greenville ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebuck155 View Post
    European AM, I am guessing you will know this engine, I believe it came from Greenville as did the boat. I will see if I can get it from him.