Thread: Mercury 300X

Mercury 300X

Hi there.
    I am the new owner of a 2001 Merc 300. (Serial nr: OT 235944)
    Can anyone tell me the motor is SmartCraft compatible or how I can find out?
    (Just to clarify - i am not a mecanic but only know how to put on gas and turn the key🤗)

Thank you, Sebastian😊
    Precent Boat:
    Campion 565 / Mercury 300X

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, this engine is Smartcraft Compatible.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you sir.
    I will asume it is the 1. gen SmartCraft?
    May I ask where you find the info? (I am also looking to install a waterpreassure gauge, and need to know where to mount the tubing)
    Precent Boat:

If it is SmartCraft compatible, I assume it has a water pressure sensor built in which means you can daisy chain system link gauges to your MercMonitor or System Tach/Speedo setup. Then you dont have to worry about splicing tubing in engine and freezing up water pressure gauge.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should already have block (water) pressure sensor installed on the coil plate. Gray tubing connects it to the base of the block.

One item to note: Later style Smartcraft Instruments (those above Version 4.0 or above) may not function with the PCM Calibration that came on your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Okay, thank you very much.
    I may have to look into that.
    Precent Boat:

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Should already have block (water) pressure sensor installed on the coil plate. Gray tubing connects it to the base of the block.

One item to note: Later style Smartcraft Instruments (those above Version 4.0 or above) may not function with the PCM Calibration that came on your engine.
    Does that block water pressure sensor on the coil plate (disconnected on my 2001 225), indicate smartcraft compatibility?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    If it is SmartCraft compatible, I assume it has a water pressure sensor built in which means you can daisy chain system link gauges to your MercMonitor or System Tach/Speedo setup.
    I dont have a single smartCraft or a MercMonitor gauge - only analog instruments, hence the need of a analog waterpressure gauge.
    Precent Boat:

Roger that. I assumed since you were referring to SmartCraft, you wanted to take advantage of the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebber2306 View Post
    I dont have a single smartCraft or a MercMonitor gauge - only analog instruments, hence the need of a analog waterpressure gauge.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

If it is a late 2001 with Motorola box,it is early smartcraft compatible,,
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
    Does that block water pressure sensor on the coil plate (disconnected on my 2001 225), indicate smartcraft compatibility?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    If it is a late 2001 with Motorola box,it is early smartcraft compatible,,
    Thank’s. Do you know what model I should use?
    Sorry for any stupid questions, but want to be sure to get the right one if I decide to go ‘digital’ :-)
    Precent Boat:

12. Member
    See reply #5 above, you'll need to try and source Smartcraft instruments below version 4.0 as newer ones may not work with your engine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    System Monitor or System Tach and Speed. As stated, must be older (lower than Version 4), which would very likely be hard to find "new".

14. Member
    Thanks for al the replyes - I Think I got what I need regarding info
    Precent Boat: