Dielectric (spark plug)Grease

Dielectric grease is a silicone based insulator, it is non conductive, moisture resistant and non hardening. It was first used in in the automotive field when electronic ignition systems were introduced into the automotive industry. It was used on the terminals of distributor caps, rotors and spark plugs to reduce Radio Frequency Interference in AM radios. It was found to very useful for other related purposes as well. Because of these characteristics it is very useful in preventing many undesirable problems we face. There is a right and wrong place to use it.

For Secondary ignition (high voltage side)component's it excels. It prevents moisture intrusion anywhere it is utilized such as coil towers and plug wire connections, it will increase plug wire life by keeping the wires from drying out and cracking over time, it keeps the boots soft and from sticking in place avoiding damage to the wires during routine service. It should always be used when service is being performed on the secondary component's. No such thing as to much, just no need to waste it either.
    It does not improve a electrical connection, It does prevent degradation of the connections.
    It also can stop what we call cross talk in very sensitive low voltage/low amperage circuits such as computer and sensor connectors when use properly. Cross talk is when a very small amount of current flow bridges a insulated area to another sensor signal circuits and changes that value sent to the computer. It only takes a few milliamps for this to occur and usually only happens when the surrounded area is contaminated with something, it does not take much and in many cases is not visible to the naked eye. Keep in mind it does not improve the connection though.

Stabilent 22 is designed to improve and protect electrical connections of this type for low amp sensor circuits and is a far better choice for computer connectors (meaning the metal to metal contact portion).
    Dielectric grease for the insulator part of the connector to prevent contaminant intrusion.
    Nothing is a substitute for poor pin fit though

Hope this help clarifies where and how to use these two items

Last edited by lpugh; 11-15-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Member
    Thank you, good information.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And if you happen to be able to find any of the illusive (discontinued) "Special Lube 101"... that's what Mercury has used for many years in their wires.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    That is what i use, have half a tube left. Good stuff.
    Why did mother mercury do away with it?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good question- to which I do not know the "official" answer.

Suspect low sales volume may have been a contributing factor, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Found at least one source for "Special Lube 101" yesterday. 8oz tube, $14.95, under private label "just like it used to come from Merc" per the seller. Was going to order a tube yesterday but shipping (for me) is as much as the lube.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's still out there... Merc sourced if from someone else. I've got that info buried in notes from a class (probably a decade or more back).