Thread: New 150 Pro XS

Banned

New 150 Pro XS

Hey guys, looking to upgrade from my 150 opti pro xs to new 4s pro xs. Anyone have one and/or done same swap? If I put the order in how long will the wait be? Boat is in need garage for winter won't be using until may so wondering if that's a realistic time frame?

thx all

Have one on my 2019 z518 , only have a few hours on it , but absolutely love it, hole shot great , mid range awesome, wot so far seeing 56 to 57

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you want one, I would recommend getting the order in as soon as possible,

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you want one, I would recommend getting the order in as soon as possible,
    I will need it by may or I will not order one.

5. Member
    I made that change from 2001 150hp Opti to the new 4 stroke 150 Pro XS and also really like it. It's on a 2000 TR186 and from holeshot to WOT it performs well. I doesn't have the punch the Opti gave me but the quiet smooth motor is a joy. I was also able to pitch up from 23" Tempest to a 24" Fury which is giving me 61mph and change (gps) at WOT (5900rpm). The 23" Tempest Plus over revs to a little over 6100rpm. Another thing is for some reason almost all the chinewalk is gone. Don't know if that's because of the motor or the lack of lift from the Fury prop itself but I like it. With the Opti and Tempest chinewalk kicked in heavy at 60mph, which was top speed for that combo.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitriton View Post
    I made that change from 2001 150hp Opti to the new 4 stroke 150 Pro XS and also really like it. It's on a 2000 TR186 and from holeshot to WOT it performs well. I doesn't have the punch the Opti gave me but the quiet smooth motor is a joy. I was also able to pitch up from 23" Tempest to a 24" Fury which is giving me 61mph and change (gps) at WOT (5900rpm). The 23" Tempest Plus over revs to a little over 6100rpm. Another thing is for some reason almost all the chinewalk is gone. Don't know if that's because of the motor or the lack of lift from the Fury prop itself but I like it. With the Opti and Tempest chinewalk kicked in heavy at 60mph, which was top speed for that combo.
    thar sounds like decent performance. How long did you have to wait for the motor?

7. Member
    Ordered it on March 12th, put it in the water on June 14th. That motor went down with 16 hours on it from a faulty oil pump. Merc sent a new long block and I was back on the water July 27th. I think I'm around 42 hours now and all is well.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitriton View Post
    Ordered it on March 12th, put it in the water on June 14th. That motor went down with 16 hours on it from a faulty oil pump. Merc sent a new long block and I was back on the water July 27th. I think I'm around 42 hours now and all is well.
    Thats not good

Did you get one? I wanted one too, and was told there was a significant delay, about 1 month ago. But, check all the dealers you can, I know some shipped out as OEM on boats that don't need the XS, like pontoons and deck boats, they may be able to swap it and rig them with a regular 150.

I bought the regular 150 four stroke, and added the XS mounts, will be adding a low water pickup soon, and possibly tuning it. So far, love the engine, bullet proof engines. Running 72 MPH at 5570 RPM with a stock 28" Promax prop, on an Allison Grand Sport. Only run it a few times, should be able to squeeze more. Amazing gas mileage too. 10 MPG at about 40 MPH.

10. Banned
    I was told to wait till he New Years as merc will have some soft of incentive. But you have me thinking, I can probably get a leftover 150 and add the mounts and lower pick up if that's possible?

11. Banned
    Local dealer just got one in, not sure when order was placed though...
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...andard+listing

12. Member
    Breaking in my 175 right now. So far this is an impressive piece of machinery.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I was told to wait till he New Years as merc will have some soft of incentive. But you have me thinking, I can probably get a leftover 150 and add the mounts and lower pick up if that's possible?
    NOT a cost-effective option.

Availability on this model series seems to be improving... probably better to hold out for the right engine (rather than making modifications that could affect warranty).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I paid to have the mounts installed under warranty and Mercury said it wouldn't cause problems, should have come standard with them in my humble opinion unless it's going on a pontoon boat and they should have marketed as a pontoon model like Evinrude does. Not sure what you're mounting it on, but water psi hasn't been an issue on my performance bass boat that has done 66mph with it.