Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    IMHO build quality and charging algorithms. If you have the right amps to charge your batteries and the right charge voltage, you have batteries that last. A charger should be something you plug in and forget. It should charge, condition and maintain the batteries. Cj
    Bingo. The charging algorithm should match up to what your battery manufacturer recommends.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Dual Pro is the best! The service is great in my experience. If it's broke - let them fix it.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

IMHO build quality and charging algorithms. If you have the right amps to charge your batteries and the right charge voltage, you have batteries that last. A charger should be something you plug in and forget. It should charge, condition and maintain the batteries. Cj
    So all chargers are good? I had my worst luck with a dual pro, but i think 15 per bank is just too much and will eat some batteries. But Dual pro is great and will send u a rebuilt model if you have any issues.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    The faster recharge at 15 amps increases the life of the battery. Heat is not a problem with most of the quality chargers that have temperature sensors in the charging leads.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Dual Pro unless space and weight are an issue or your looking for charge on the run.
    Then I would say Stealth One.

6. Member
    Are there chargers you plug and forget? Thought all cycled till float.
    I assumed any of them need to be unplugged after 30 days to start the three step cycle again.
    Only ones I've used are the noco and currently using a hand me down promariner pro tournament 300.
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

7. Member
    Yes, Minn Kota 315D.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwoodz View Post
    Are there chargers you plug and forget? Thought all cycled till float.
    I assumed any of them need to be unplugged after 30 days to start the three step cycle again.
    Only ones I've used are the noco and currently using a hand me down promariner pro tournament 300.
    I think any charger today should be plug in and forget it. I know my Powermania is. I'm pretty sure they all test the resting voltage at intervals and then decide what stage to charge at based on that. Float isn't actually a charge setting. It's "off" with the unit waking up periodically to test voltage and then charge as appropriate.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    I think any charger today should be plug in and forget it. I know my Powermania is. I'm pretty sure they all test the resting voltage at intervals and then decide what stage to charge at based on that. Float isn't actually a charge setting. It's "off" with the unit waking up periodically to test voltage and then charge as appropriate.
    Maybe I was just confused in my understanding. I know the smart chargers do maintain. I guess I assumed that for long periods of time (2-3 months).... You should periodically unplug and replug.
    I know any time I do unplug and replug the charger always starts a recycle.
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

10. Member
    I wouldn't fool with a NOCO. Look at what you have or Minn Kota

Minnkota Precision Digital..

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwoodz View Post
    Maybe I was just confused in my understanding. I know the smart chargers do maintain. I guess I assumed that for long periods of time (2-3 months).... You should periodically unplug and replug.
    I know any time I do unplug and replug the charger always starts a recycle.
    I don’t know about other chargers but the ProMariner ProSport series has a storage recondition mode. When left plugged up, it automatically checks the batteries every 30 days and will charge as needed for up to 3 hours.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

13. Member
    That's good to know. Yeah it's the 4 bank pro tournament 300...My bro had gave it to me because one bank had no voltages on it. After I got it...I inspected it and found that the fuse block was bad. I soldered in a new block. I know it's an older version. I believe the newest version is a Pro 360.
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

Some AGM battery manufacturers don’t recommend a 15 amp per bank charger for their batteries. I know Optima doesn’t.
    Just something worth checking on if you run AGMs.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12