Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Question Rapala X-Rap Twitching Mullet

Does anyone use the Rapala X-Rap Twitching Mullet 8?

I bought a few when Dicks was having a sale. They came with 2 single hooks as they’re saltwater lures but I switched a couple #4 trebles on them. They sink really slow and while they don’t dart around like a jerkbait their size is about perfect for what the bass in my area are chasing right now.

Im asking because I haven’t thrown them much and wanted to know how you guys retrieve them?

Thanks, Chris.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I would try yo-yoing it like a rattle trap.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    They sink really slow and barely wobble on a straight retrieve. They don’t go crazy like a jerkbait when I twitch them...I’m hoping to use them for actively feeding schoolies and for those shallow fish that are a little hesitant to strike. They do work though!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    Just noticed you are in Tampa. That means you have easy access to mirro lures. Try the mirro dine line etc. The rapalas never seemed to stay "down" for me. Try a walk the dog retrieve as some of that style baits glide more than twitch. Usually a jerkbait type cadence works for me, just slow enough to keep the bait from rising in the column if that makes sense. All though if they are schooling, you probably cant go fast enough.

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks TopoRanger, it’s funny you say that since yesterday I couldn’t get this lure to the schoolies fast enough and my brother was throwing a Mirodine prop topwater to them at the same time...he even left the saltwater treble hooks on it! I got him to change em last night and they look even better now.