Thread: Champion 203

Champion 203

I have a 1998 champion 203 with a 2005 Mercury Optimax with approximately 370 hours. It’s been an awesome boat. I have a pretty big chunk of delamination on the underneath side of hull and up the backside of the transom area. Trying to decide if I want to spend the money to have the fiberglass repaired or put on a gator Hull. Other option would be selling as is. My question is what would a 203 that needs some extensive hull work done with a great running motor be worth?

2. Member
    This is tough call. I doubt you will get much for it as is. I would talk to 2-3 reputable fiberglass shops and figure how much money it will cost to fix the hull. Gator hull might be the way to go but your hull might need lots of prep work prior to the coating.

3. Member
    Post a pic of the damaged area

4. Banned
    Gator hull or even better yet, the gorilla hull. I have a gator on my 198 and it’s good; but I wish it was the gorilla hull instead. Gator is quite a bit cheaper though.

5. Member
    Thank y’all for your responses. I took it in to a shop and after getting pictures of the hull off the trailer I don’t think it’s worth trying to save. It was quite a bit worse than I thought. Any ideas what a 2005 Mercury optimax 225 with 370ish hours would be worth?

6. Member
    There is a guy on the TexasFishingForum selling an '05 Champ 198 that he blew the 225 on. It is cheap and I think it has a new Ultrex on it.

7. Member
    What did it run with a 225 on it? I've got 2000 203 with a 200 merc EFI and it just needs a little more motor on it. Let me know what you might want for just the motor.
    2000 Champion 203

8. Member
    Not to hijack the thread but Dunbar, I've got a 98 203 with a 98 225 efi on it and it'll run 72 with just me and light load. I blew the motor though and I'm in the process of getting it rebuilt. I've decided I'm gonna sell the motor though and put a new Yamaha 250 sho on mine so if your interested I'll have one for sale before long. I work at a Yamaha dealer and my boss is gonna let me have one of the demo motors we can buy so the price is to good to not upgrade.

Are you slling the hull and trailer?