Thread: Lynx

Lynx

Anyone running a Lynx with the 250 Evinrude G2. If so what numbers are you getting. I’m considering this combo b/c of the 10yr warranty. How would this combo compare to the Merc 250 pro Xs?
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

Here you go, Proptwister is running a 300, ZeroSix is running a 250. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....light=evinrude

Thanks just not a lot people running the G2’s on the basscat
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

The G2 is just not as popular a power plant as the Mercury and Yamaha. No one sells as many and they were the #4 outboard when we last knew volumes. There are a lot of Suzuki’s in the saltwater, aluminum and pontoon markets.

Just for clarification: In no way is this a slam on Evinrude. They just don’t have as many in the North American market as other brands was the point. That most likely will change some with their boat company purchases.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 11-16-2018 at 08:24 PM.

5. Member
    Thanks for the PM Kevin hopefully my response was helpful. The notes below are more for those following the post.

I have a 2019 Lynx with a 250HO G2 and came out of a different manufacturer and a Merc 250 Pro XS (several of them). As a caveat to the remainder of the text - in today's market - both (all) engines are extremely well designed, made and very reliable and I think anyone basing their commentary on fact versus personal preference would be hard pressed to denigrate one over the other outside of isolated events.

With that said -

My Lynx is still "new-car-smell" new as I got it late in the season and literally just winterized her and put her to bed this morning. I only have 9 hours total but my personal observations after several years of experience with everything else as equal as possible are:
    -Excellent hole-shot
    -Excellent mid-range torque availability
    -Excellent handling
    -Fuel economy (for me) appeared better but I think that is more about driving habits. If you are hitting the rev-limiter every time you run, you may not see the difference. With only 9 hours I do not have enough data to make a sound decision from personal use and am basing my information on multiple G2 owners.

As for Evinrude being 4th in the retail numbers - Without knowing if this is US, North American or Worldwide stistics is hard to form a decision. I think there is some more recent information out there for those curious enough to research it that places them just behind Mercury and Yamaha. For most folk reading this I think North American data would be most informative.

From inside the marine industry I can say with confidence that:
    1. Until recently Evinrude did not own a transom (boat company) whereas the other manufacturers did. If an engine manufacturer's parent company (they all have one) does not have a boat brand that exclusively hangs their product the numbers will be skewed against them from the start.
    2. The power plant industry is extremely regional. What I see and service in my region is much different than what I see when I travel. It’s the same thing with boat brands for the most part.
    3. Service Centers. I think if you took the time to research you would find the top brands sold have the most, and best trained service centers and dealers. Look around your home lake and see what brands are predominant - then search the area for certified ("certified" is the important part) service centers and dealers and I feel confident that you will find a link between them.

Related to #3 above - when selecting what engine brand to invest in - warranty is no doubt extremely important. But with today's products and warranties being as good as they are - regardless of the manufacturer I find (I have this conversation almost on a daily basis) that a reputable service center/dealer who is close to you is much more important. The one piece of unsolicited advice that I pontificate on the most with folks looking to purchase a new boat/engine is to first research dealers and certified service centers who are within close proximity to where you plan to use the boat the most. There are a couple of engine brands out there that will save you a couple thousand dollars at the time of purchase. However, once you have to drive 4-6-8 hours to get that engine serviced, or the supply chains are not well established and you have to wait several days to weeks or longer for a part - the couple of thousand dollars that you saved quickly falls to the wayside.

Okay - soapbox back under the desk. I hope this was helpful.

^^^ Excellent! ^^^

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    Here you go, Proptwister is running a 300, ZeroSix is running a 250. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....light=evinrude
    ZeroSix's write-up is excellent and has many valid points. Go with what you are comfortable with and probably more importantly, what support you have nearby. I am fortunate to have an experienced Evinrude dealer near me and that made my decision easier.

As for my Lynx/Evinrude combo, I've had no regrets at all. The only thing I've had done was the replacement of the ignition switch that seemed to develop a dead spot in it. Thats it. Close to 80 hours now. As I've mentioned on here before, I am kind of a pack rat with my equipment and I have WAY to much crap on board so the boat is certainly fully loaded. Myself and a co-angler 72-73 and by myself, 75-76. Holeshot is no-issue whatsoever either way. And as you mentioned, the 10-year warranty made it a no-brainer.

Would I make the same choice on a $75,000 boat. Absolutely.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma