Javelin Rear Deck Lid

I’ve got a 2000 Javelin Renegade 19. The rear deck lid is installed when you open the lid it’s opening infront of the outboard. Is this typical of this boat? Most other boats I have owned have all opened in front of the the rear boat seat. Would it be possible to install the hinges on the other side of the lid? And install another opening handle on the opposite side. It’s not common but if I have an issue with a battery or need to check a fuse on the water I have to sit on the back edge of the boat and then open the lid and then try to fix the issue. Sugguestions?

2. Member
    I have the same boat.The back deck lid is installed the same as yours.You do bring up a good point but I like the way it is mounted now because on land its very easy to get to the batteries,pumps,etc.
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

Most lids open that way. In fact I don't think I've ever seen one that opens to the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Brian View Post
    I’ve got a 2000 Javelin Renegade 19. The rear deck lid is installed when you open the lid it’s opening infront of the outboard. Is this typical of this boat? Most other boats I have owned have all opened in front of the the rear boat seat. Would it be possible to install the hinges on the other side of the lid? And install another opening handle on the opposite side. It’s not common but if I have an issue with a battery or need to check a fuse on the water I have to sit on the back edge of the boat and then open the lid and then try to fix the issue. Sugguestions?
    I've owned a 2000 R20 since new and I have no problem. Yes it's a bit of a pain but you will figure out wear to stand, neal, etc to do what you need to do. I keep my net back there and have to access it while on the water at the start of every tnx. Had to do all kinds of stuff over the years. Not a big deal.
    You would need to do a ton of work to reverse it and then your boat would be screwed up. Just deal with it. You will end up loving your boat if the motor, etc are right.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    I do really like this boat. Only real thing I’d wish was different is wish it came with the 175hp instead of the 150hp. Just got used to having that lid in the opposite direction is all. It’s in awesome condition. I’m second owner. The original owner was a fantantic about keeping it clean and waxed. Treated more of a speed boat I think. I’ve got into the local bass tournament scene and this boat does great for that. Goes 58mph with just me and I’m a big boy lol. Didn’t run good at all when I brought it home. Did when I tried it out but $700 more later runs great.

Yea I’ve thought about it a lot and going to keep it original. Just have to get used to it lol.

From what I have seen most boats open up from the back side. I have seen a few that open from the front side but only a few. It's funny you mention this because about 2 weeks ago I had someone over at my house and I was doing some stuff in my bilge and the person who was there made the comment "boy I wish my Phoenix had as easy access as you do in your bilge" "it looks like you can reach everything with no problem" The lay out on my 1999 JR19 should be exactly like your 2000 or at least very similiar. The battery charger, trolling motor batteries, all pumps and oil tank are a breeze to access. The one and only thing that is a little difficult is unhooking the strap on the battery tray for the cranking battery. The battery itself is easy access but the space between the gas tank and battery tray is tight making it hard to unhook the battery strap. Other than that it's pretty much laid out where everything is easy access. When working on batteries, battery charger or filling the oil tank I stand on the back trailer frame. If I work on a pump I put a step stool on the ground and access from behind standing next to the motor.

My 1999 had a Ficht 150 with 60 hours when I bought it in 2001. It did not have a jackplate and I could do 62 light and 58 loaded heavy. In 2014 I had 900+ hours on my motor and re-powered with a E-TECH 150 HO. I also added a 6" jackplate when I re-powered because I added two talons and I wanted to have a jack plate to mount them too. The 150 HO is tuned to push the 10% max HP rule so it's more like 165 HP. My speed pretty much stayed the same even though my new motor has "about" 15 more HP, but when you factor in the weight/drag of two Talons I would have gained instead of staying the same. My GPS history says my max speed is 64.94 but that was a one time deal when I removed everything, had 1/4 tank of fuel, cold air temp and perfect water conditions. I can normally run 62 solo and 58 with a partner and livewell full. There is not going to be a lot of difference between a 150 and 175 on that boat in my opinion. If you want max performance get a 6" jackplate and set your prop to pad height at 3.25" and if you have a Johnson/Evinrude spin a 24 Raker that has been balanced and blueprinted by Mark Croxten...you should see low 60's if your motor is healthy