Novice boat unloading question.

I have a 17 ft G3 Boat and when I unload it into the water the bow roller wants to roll to the tip of the boat and then the boat just falls down about 6-8 inches. I am afraid I am going to rip off my new Ultrex I just installed. I tried adjusting the bow rolling up and down and the results are the same. Should I put more of my trailer into the water? or less? I was looking into the Drotto boat latch system. Possibly adding another bow rolling below the original one with a longer arm to support the Keel more. Any opinions?

2. Member
    Sounds like you are in too far.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    X2 you are too deep.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    What if the boat wont slide off the trailer until I put it in the water a ways? Any way to remedy it? Add something to my bunks?

5. Member
    I put mine in too deep so it floats and wets the bunks and then pull it back out to the appropriate level. Leave the bow hooked up until you are ready to board. With practice you will find out where it needs to be. I have one prop I run sometimes that sucks in reverse and I have to push it by hand the first few feet before I board if I am by myself.

When you back in, watch in your mirrors. When the back end of the boat just begins to float, stop and either back the boat off or push it off by hand, if you prefer. I also loosen the bow strap about 6 inches so that the boat will move just a little back from the bow roller. I know I can push it off from there on a steep ramp.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Ok I appreciate the responses. I will try and put it in tomorrow.

8. Member
    Never got a chance to put it in the water. Work got in the way. I did manage to finished up installing my ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    When you back in, watch in your mirrors. When the back end of the boat just begins to float, stop and either back the boat off or push it off by hand, if you prefer. I also loosen the bow strap about 6 inches so that the boat will move just a little back from the bow roller. I know I can push it off from there on a steep ramp.
    i use this method
    A tip is to install some non slip tape on your trailer where you will step on it to push it off.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Same thing for me. Boat just slips right off when i put it in reverse. Has always worked for us and everything is smooth.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    I don't have a tin boat any longer, but I remember it was harder to launch and recover than my 20 foot Stratos, but I have 25 years experience now. I disconnect all tie downs. I tie a rope to the LH forward thwart with a loop and the other end loop goes over a post on my winch. I back in until the boat floats, and slowly pull forward until almost all the slack is out of the rope, which enables me to reach the loop on the trailer. You can watch the rope in the rear view mirror. You do NOT want to pull the boat with that rope. I remove that end and tie it to the pier, go park my truck and then pull my boat in. It takes about a 30 foot rope maybe more, maybe less.

One thing it looks like that TM is way to close to the very tip of the bow.