Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianl View Post
    Newfound is possibly accessable on one side with four wheel drive? About six inches of snow, might be slippery on way out. I don't know how to post pic, but I am going to take my chances at winni
    Hmm...I'll have to think about that. I could quickly shovel out the ramp itself, and a few feet after the concrete blocks end, throw down some sand, and I'm sure it'll be fine. I might still give that a shot.

My only problem with Winni is I don't even know where to start out there for this time of the year. I at least have an idea of where to be on Newfound, but Winni? No idea. Haven't fished it nearly enough to really know where to find them. I figure I could just run any steep banks and nearby humps and hope for the best, but I could do that on Newfound a lot more efficiently.

2. Member

3. Member
    Totally doable, thanks for the pic! I can make that work. I assume they plowed out the rest of the parking lot then? Would make sense they'd keep it open and accessible so that ice fisherman and snowmobile riders can have an easy parking & access spot, didn't think of that til now.

4. Member
    Anyone know if Meredith launch is open or somewhere else close to there? Or at least if parking lot is open? Got a buddy looking to make the long drive up tomorrow but is concerned he won't have a spot to park, isn't worried about launching through snow though

5. Member
    launched at Melvin today. That will not last long, had to break ice. Could not travel too far from there either, broke ice in a few areas. I would suggest heading to Meredith area as lake looked wide open over there. Water was 36 and fish were very lethargic.

6. Member
    Good to know, thanks. I'm still leaning towards Newfound. How was the fishing?

7. Member
    Holy Sh#t,just go to Newfound!
    Red Sox in 6!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Holy Sh#t,just go to Newfound!
    I want to, but I'm not sure. I'm still leaning towards Newfound though.

Completely out of my element here fishing this late in the year, or at least with water temps this low, so as you can tell, I was having a hard time deciding what to do because...I don't know what I'm doing in these conditions.

" Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

10. Member
    I was lost too. I think the mistake I made was stopping at underwater structure to fish when I saw it on down/side imaging. When I go out again I'm going to keep motoring till I find bait then fish. Problem is that's a huge lake and bait could be anywhere. Happy hunting!
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

11. Member
    Doubtful that this will come as a surprise to anyone, but I got skunked. No ice anywhere on the lake, surface temp was 39-40 in the entire mid lake area, and 37 south of the island. I tried hitting 5 different areas, only two had any bait fish showing up. First spot had a lot of bait fish, in anywhere from 20-50 feet of water. Highest concentrations, and spots I was marking something of size blasting through the bait fish, were 25-30 feet. Anything deeper and it was just thin schools of bait fish, and only random bigger fish here and there, but there wasn't many.

Focused on that area for a good 3 hours, fishing every size/color combination of a blade bait that I own. No takers. I may have gotten 2-3 bites, but I can't say for certain, I could have just lightly snagged something as well. Those where I really thought I got a bite hit at about 30 feet. Tried the other areas and didn't mark anything, but assumed the fish were there anyway and that I wouldn't be able to mark them, which I learned from some very helpful insight I got from a few guys here and on Facebook. Thank you very much for that guys, I appreciate it.

I was probably fishing too fast, both in how fast I was snapping the blade, and how often. I realized I was fishing pretty fast late in the morning, so managed to get myself to "slow" down a bit. Tried subtle lifts and subtle drags for a bit, both long casts and dropping straight down, but no takers. I think the longest I was waiting between lifts at any point though was about 20 seconds. That still remains one of my biggest weaknesses when the water gets this cold, I still fish too damn fast. It got worse as the hours went by and I was getting somewhat frustrated with myself for not figuring it out, and that led me to fishing faster and faster without realizing it until the end. Oh well. Just have to work harder to correct it.

Had to shovel the launch a little bit, but there's some thick-ish icy snow about 15-20 feet up from where the concrete part of the launch ends that was pretty much ice actually, I couldn't shovel it out. Plenty of running room though to get up to speed and blast through it in 4WD, I got the whole concrete portion completely cleared away. It's going to snow a little bit up there again tomorrow, but if someone wanted to go after that, whatever snow falls should shovel out really easily.

12. Member
    I am hoping to have my other truck back from the shop this week, so if you wanted to head down there again give me a heads up and i could make a run down there to clear things up.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

13. Banned
    Squam's launch is all open. The only drawback is that the parking lot is NOT plowed. The 2 Handicap spots are plowed out, if you go,just give the Holderness PD a call and ask if it would be OK to park there. Also Meredith's Launch looked OK to use also.
    Last edited by NitroVanDam; 12-02-2018 at 07:05 PM.

14. Member
    Thank you both for the info! Hoping to get out up there again next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Doubtful that this will come as a surprise to anyone, but I got skunked. No ice anywhere on the lake, surface temp was 39-40 in the entire mid lake area, and 37 south of the island. I tried hitting 5 different areas, only two had any bait fish showing up. First spot had a lot of bait fish, in anywhere from 20-50 feet of water. Highest concentrations, and spots I was marking something of size blasting through the bait fish, were 25-30 feet. Anything deeper and it was just thin schools of bait fish, and only random bigger fish here and there, but there wasn't many.

Focused on that area for a good 3 hours, fishing every size/color combination of a blade bait that I own. No takers. I may have gotten 2-3 bites, but I can't say for certain, I could have just lightly snagged something as well. Those where I really thought I got a bite hit at about 30 feet. Tried the other areas and didn't mark anything, but assumed the fish were there anyway and that I wouldn't be able to mark them, which I learned from some very helpful insight I got from a few guys here and on Facebook. Thank you very much for that guys, I appreciate it.

I was probably fishing too fast, both in how fast I was snapping the blade, and how often. I realized I was fishing pretty fast late in the morning, so managed to get myself to "slow" down a bit. Tried subtle lifts and subtle drags for a bit, both long casts and dropping straight down, but no takers. I think the longest I was waiting between lifts at any point though was about 20 seconds. That still remains one of my biggest weaknesses when the water gets this cold, I still fish too damn fast. It got worse as the hours went by and I was getting somewhat frustrated with myself for not figuring it out, and that led me to fishing faster and faster without realizing it until the end. Oh well. Just have to work harder to correct it.

Had to shovel the launch a little bit, but there's some thick-ish icy snow about 15-20 feet up from where the concrete part of the launch ends that was pretty much ice actually, I couldn't shovel it out. Plenty of running room though to get up to speed and blast through it in 4WD, I got the whole concrete portion completely cleared away. It's going to snow a little bit up there again tomorrow, but if someone wanted to go after that, whatever snow falls should shovel out really easily.

At least you got out there.
    I took a trip to Rhode island Saturday and went Tautog fishing.
    Only caught some short fish and my friend got a keeper cod.
    Had a great time even though the fish didn't cooperate.
    Anthrax

Love tog fishing! were you in a boat or from shore?
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

We went on a charter boat.
    Seven b's. The fishing was slow but I had a great time.
    Anthrax

18. Member
    Who's still going out this weekend?

How are the icing conditions looking up that way? Web cam shows Newfound is still wide open, I can't imagine that the launch would be iced in either given it's wide open to the wind as well. But it has been pretty cold every night this week. I imagine most of Winni is iced in at this point?

Hoping to go hit the Connecticut River out of Walpole if it's not frozen. If it is, then going back to Newfound, and will hopefully catch something this time...

Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Who's still going out this weekend?

How are the icing conditions looking up that way? Web cam shows Newfound is still wide open, I can't imagine that the launch would be iced in either given it's wide open to the wind as well. But it has been pretty cold every night this week. I imagine most of Winni is iced in at this point?

Hoping to go hit the Connecticut River out of Walpole if it's not frozen. If it is, then going back to Newfound, and will hopefully catch something this time...
    I doubt Winni is iced in yet.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Good luck
    Anthrax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast