Detached Retina--Who's Had It?

I ask because 3 week ago, I had to have the surgery. Right eye, gas, and belt around eyeball . The whole nine yards. Sight is improving a little everyday but it's a slow recovery. I tell my wife, "It's like looking thru a fish bowl".
    If you've been thru this, how long did it take, to feel like you got your sight back to normal?
    Searches I made, came up several months to a year. ???
    ******2008 ZX200/200 Yamaha Series 2******
    *God is great, beer is good ---- people are crazy*

Detached retina in my left eye in 2015. Had the buckle done on the left and something else done at the same time on the right to keep it from detaching. Never had the fishbowl thing. Everything I lost I got back with prescription lenses. It ruined my competition shotgun shooting. I’ve always been right handed and right eye dominate and shot everything with both eyes open. Not any more, I’m now left eye dominate. Eye Dr couldn’t explain that. Be patence, it will get better. Larry
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

3. Member
    I experienced a torn Retina when a fishing weight hit me in the eye while fishing a night tournament. I had to have a vitrectomy, repair of the tear, scleral buckle and the gas too. It will only take a couple of weeks before the gas dissolves. You will actually see the bubble getting smaller and smaller. Your vision will improve as this process happens.

If you any questions, just PM me.

Thanks guys. Yes I can see the bubble getting smaller with some improvement each day.

A guy I work with had a detached retina. They actually had to go back in and reattach a small section. After a couple weeks he came back to work and within a month he was back to normal.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

6. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    My wife had the same retina detach twice. The bubble you see is from the gas they inject into your eye to aid in healing.. It will go away eventually.
    The second surgery she had the put a buckle around the retina.. It's been fine since them. She sees that surgeon once a year.

7. Banned
    Dad had his retina detach waited to long and lost his eyesight in that eye.

8. Member
    I had a cornea transplant three years ago and still giving me problems!!!

9. Member
    . Wife had to have 2 surgeries. Each one the recovery was a little different. She still see what she calls floaties. Scars that move with the eyeball. She has adjusted. See eye surgeon once a year. Odd thing is she has no idea how it happened. Woke up one day with odd eye sight.
    Last edited by mdbasser; 11-15-2018 at 04:14 AM. Reason: wrong quote

10. Member
    My boss had one back in August. He has had the surgery to correct the tears, but has also had to have 2 other procedures. He is still waiting to get his new glass prescription as it has been a slow process for him. My best advice is do what the doctors tell you and be patient.

Holy cow! I just had emergency surgery this Monday for it. Small world, they did both operations on me, buckle and the laser and bubble, I have to lie on my side for 7 days. It hurts, I go back next Tuesday, what happens next?
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

Ttt
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

13. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    FYI I'm sure you have been told but you can't fly for something like 90 Days. Nor can you venture into High altitude places.
    Seems as though the pressure isn't good for the healing of the retina.

14. Member
    Hope you have a complete recovery. A friend's daughter was playing infield during a softball game a couple months ago. A pop up was hit to her and she just missed it and it hit her in the left eye. Took her to the ER and she had a detached retina along with other damage. Doctors told her she would never recover complete sight in that eye. She is 16 and actually a very good ball player.

15. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    It sucks, detachment on right eye for me, gas bubble pushed retina back in place, then tac welded retina and eye back together with laser. Been 5 weeks or so still can’t see shit out right eye.

Mike, I know what you're going thru. Had to lay on right side for a week. Then went back to doc & he said everything looks good but try to stay on right side 5-6 more days.
    Jerry, the worst thing for me now is that the gas bubble is right in the middle of my right eye. It's like walking around with your eyeball 1/2 full of water. Still have to keep that eye closed to see better.
    But it's getting better everyday.
    Hang in there.

Thank you! Ive had lots of injuries, even cancer, I never thought things weren’t gonna work out great, this was so un expected and the way the doctors talked and seemed concerned, It has me spooked.

Good of luck to you, and thanks for posting, it helps to hear from someone a little farther down the road.

im 5 days post op, can’t see at all in right eye, pain is 50% what it was was. Hope this helps someone else.
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.