98 Vindicator 200 hp hard to start when cold

The cold weather has arrived and my old reliable beast just doesn't like the cold. I've read that these older motors need a good bit of cranking amps to get going in the cold. I'm running a 24MS everstart battery with 1000cca. Now it's at least 5 years old but it's fine 10 months out of the year. Once the old beast cranks up it's fine the rest of the day. Is there a better battery solution that's not going to break the bank or any other suggestions?
    1998 Ranger R93 200 Evinrude Vindicator

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    5 years old....replace the battery. 24MS has 625 Marine Cranking Amps. You have been threading the needle for at least 3 years. I run the 27 series with 750 MCA. Also, what is your cold starting process? Does it just crank slower or cranks normal but wont start easy?.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    Cold starting process is the same as anytime. Trim the motor down, pump the bulb hard, push the choke in and turn. It cranks but won't start. Try same routine about 5 times and bingo starts up. The 27 series you run is it a everstart and is the dc model?
    1998 Ranger R93 200 Evinrude Vindicator

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    If it cranks and wont start, not a battery issue. Is the quick start engaging/rpms above 1000 when starts and then drops to normal after motor warms up a tad???

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!