Cold Weather Boat Care

Hi All, I live up in WI, am a first time boat owner & planning on storing my boat for the season sometime in Dec. It's relatively clean because I wipe it down after each use & it's garage kept. However, the carpet will need of a good cleaning because of the Smallies that have been getting it dirty this Fall. If I go to a power wash facility to hose it down with warm water, my concern is that because of the sub freezing temps, my carpet, compartments, etc., will frost or freeze up while waiting until I can have it winterized. Short of installing a $500 heater in my garage, does anyone have any suggestions for efficiently drying out the carpeted areas? Thanks!

If it were me I'd wait til spring to clean it up as it'll probably get dusty over the winter anyhow. Even under a cover mine always ends up dusty after being stored. Past that, unless you're pretty far north in WI, looks like some days above freezing coming down the pipe over the next several weeks.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    I appreciate the response. I'm in the Green Bay area. I won't be putting the boat away until sometime during the first half of Dec. By then temps will likely not get above freezing very often, and even if they do, it would likely only be for an hour or two depending on if there's a wind chill. Sun or lack there of would also factor in to drying time, assuming I might try to use Mother Nature to my advantage. If I keep it in the garage to dry, I'm assuming it will take longer. The length of time it may take going that route may have me dealing with it partially drying then freezing up. Maybe I wait until Spring. Just don't want to struggle getting the fish stank etc out if I wait. I get what you're saying about the dust. I can live with that.

4. Member
    I'm not too far from you, I would wait until spring to do any major work. My boat sat out in the rain for two days at the canvas shop when I was getting the cover modified and even with fans inside the garage it didn't really dry out until I could get it outside in the sun. As for the fish stink I started having the same problem and ordered some silicone pet food mats from amazon to drop the fish on. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They come in various sizes and roll up so they take up very little space, if you get bigger fish put two next to each other. Just make sure you secure it before racing to your next spot.

I would wait until spring.

I agree with the other guys/ I'd vacuum it out and clean it in the spring.

7. Member
    Yep, that cold of weather even in a garage wet carpet sounds probmatic. Wait till spring. You could sprinkle some baking soda to get rid of any smell then vacume it good come spring. Worth a try anyway

8. Member
    Vacuum now wait till warm weather to really clean. Dried fish slime will not destroy your carpet when it is dry and frozen like a rock.... just my 2 cents.

9. Member
    Live in gb also, put the boat away last weekend. My carpet needs a cleaning also with out a heated garage you aren't getting it dry this time of year.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

Wet carpet this time of year means compartment lids that will freeze shut and moisture build up inside them. That leads to mildew on everything inside. I store mine inside and have found that I need to leave the compartment lids cracked open just to avoid the problem even with "dry" carpet.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

11. Member
    I would wait till spring, I would think that ice would probably loosen or damage the adhesive holding the carpet down
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

12. Member
    I appreciate all of the responses. Sounds like a pretty convincing consensus.