150 opti reed install lots of oil in plenum area - 1B044209

Hey,

Was just wondering if its normal to have a large amount of oil in the plenum / reed block area.

I am in the middle of replacing my alum reeds with CCM reeds and noticed that the reed retainer and interior of motor was saturated with DFI oil.

Aslo I know the reed block screw tq specs is 8 inch lbs with lock washers and 10 without.

Whats the tq spec for the plenum?

Thanks,
    Jesse
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil in the intake and reed blocks is perfectly normal. That's where a large majority of the oil is delivered (and one of the reasons that an oil pump prime needs to be done on the Computer Diagnostic System after you finish reassembly, and before restarting).

What part number Repair Manual are you using?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    My manual is EuropeanAM on BBCboards LOL

ive found MOST of the tq specs I need for my motor within the forum here except for the plenum so far. Truthfully most small time repairs people do, all the specs are on here except for the minor few things which can usually still be easily found searching through here.

And I just noticed I may have miss worded my post above.... the 8inch with lock nut or 10 without inch lbs tq spec is for the actual reeds not the reed block to the "plate"

so guess I need to find the reed block to plate tq specs and plenum to engine tq specs.

and yea I had plans on doing the oil pump prime sequence by a dealer once it was all done. You did a small write up on reed installs on here with steps on lapping the cages and oiling them for an opti 200 and posted the 8-10inch lbs spec for reeds with liquid red loctite.
    Last edited by ride.race.live; 11-14-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

4. Member
    What size are bolts....not the wrench size but actual bolt diameter? Torque specs are usually equivalent to the size bolt used.
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Reed Block Retaining Screws: 100 lbs/in

Air Handler Retaining Screws: 175 lbs/in

(2) M4 x 16 screws that hold the Air Handler and Reed Plate together as an assembly: 22 lbs/in

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks a million!

About to have fun lapping these reed cages.