Xi5 Problems Control board or GPS board

I have a 3 year old Xi5 that has been acting up the past 2 weeks. Got progressively worse. Now it seems to have gone brain dead. When I put it in heading lock mode Sunday, the motor did take the boat in the proper direction, however it looked like a snake was driving it. Kept going back forth constantly from 10 to 2 o'clock positions (sidewinding) then after about 90 seconds it would attempt to go into anchor mode on its own. Not good at holding position either after it attempting this maneuver. I put it back in manual mode and tried again. did the same thing 3 times. Earlier it was giving me an error beep any time I tried to anything that would require GPS input. Anchor/heading lock or the constant speed button.

Motor is out of warranty. Nearest repair center is a couple hours drive. GPS light is on. Blinks when GPS functions are enabled. Obeys all manual commands without a problem. Left right. prop speed. I can replace either board myself since it is out of warranty and the Motor guide CS person said they are easy to do. Faster fix than 3 hour drive each way to Propeller Dynamics. Looking for opinions on which one has gone bad. $200 control board or $350 GPS.

Thanks
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

2. Member
    I would thing it is the GPS module.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Thanks. Figures it is the more expensive one of the 2. This is the second one that has gone bad on me. First one was under warranty.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL