Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My best yet. 2 year chase comes to a close

When a guy puts a two year story to bed, I thought it should be documented. Forgive the long post.

Chased this buck for 2 years. Public land and bow only. Obsessed to say the least.

Started hunting a new area last year and he started showing up on camera pretty regularly. Saw him one time on the hoof early in October last year but did not provide a shot. That was the only encounter I had with him until this past Friday. This was him last year.

Killed a good 9pt out the stand behind him in December but the one above never showed back up while I was there last year. I hoped he made it thru the year and I was pleased to see him show back up on camera early this spring. I think below is the first pic I had of him this year.

He exploded this summer and I could wait to see how much he would grow week to week. He amazed me in early August when I got this pic. I knew he was turning into something special and knew from this picture that I would only be hunting 1 deer this year.

Season opened and he of course went nocturnal. Only day light pic I had occurred at 8:15 on a Sunday morning in October. Of course I was at church but I knew the Lord would repay me for having my priorities in order. This pic was of him late October and I knew if I put in the time he would eventually mess up.

Took last Friday off knowing the time of the year was great and that a cold front was coming on Friday night with temps expected to fall into the teens. Friday morning sat until 10:30. Not a single deer seen. Got back in the stand that afternoon at 2:30 and at 4:00 straight up he walks in solo to 18 yards. Happened quick. Went for a heart shot and hit a little high. He ran 50 yards to the edge of a draw and stopped for 5 minutes. I can see blood. Thought I saw him dip his head and go over. Texted a buddy and said "get here now!" He shoed up 30 minutes later and we met at the truck and then went to look at shot. Arrow was broken off at fletching and broadhead and arrow looked good. Paintbrush blood all the way to where I saw him stop. Next thing we see is him on the other side of the holler on his feet and moving fast. We backed out, went to the house and waited for my oldest son to get home. Had some pizza and talked about what we wanted to do next. Figured we would go look for blood from where he got up. Found it and followed until it went spotty. Regretfully, we backed out again and figured as cold as it was going to get we would pick it up again Saturday morning.

Saturday morning at sunup we found 1 more spot of blood and it went cold. Thick area that was blackberry thicket and hedge apple infested. THICK bedding area. Grid searched until 10:00 with no sign and then my buddy texts to say he jumped him. Went to his area and good pool of blood from where he had laid up overnight but not as much as I wanted to see. Waited till 10:45 at that spot and gave my son the cross bow as his eyes and wits are better than mine and said "be looking out in front, I'll stay back and follow your lead.".

We trailed for another 70 yards and he raised his hand to stop and motioned that the deer was laid up 15 yards in front of him. I told him to immediately get another arrow in him. Got him to raise his head by throwing a rock and he put one in the neck. 5 minutes later it was over.

169 7/8's first score. 15 points. 19.5 inside. Best thing was that my boy and I got to experience this together for the last 2 years!! Little sad its over but more happy to put my hands on him.

Thanks for reading.
    First member of Kawasaki Outboard Prostaff

2. Member
    pics or it didn't happen.

JK congrats! The chase is what makes it!

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That’s a great story and a good ending! I still want to see the pics! Congrats
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Sorry boys....I thought I had attached pics. Here they are in chronological order of the story above.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Oh damn! That’s one helluva buck! Idk about where you’re at, but state land down here means 100 people per acre! Congratulations sir that is a beautiful buck and a rack of a lifetime! Did you determine what your first arrow hit?

Oh Wow, I didn’t see the split G2 & G3! How old was he? Looks like a 5.5 year old??
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Oh damn! That’s one helluva buck! Idk about where you’re at, but state land down here means 100 people per acre! Congratulations sir that is a beautiful buck and a rack of a lifetime! Did you determine what your first arrow hit?

Oh Wow, I didn’t see the split G2 & G3! How old was he? Looks like a 5.5 year old??
    Thanks bud. Will likely have to go out of state to top him. NW corner is where I am at. Tried to heart shoot him and hit a little higher than I wanted. Double lung from this point forward for me. Had one guy age the jawbone and said 4.5yo.

7. Member
    If he was only 4.5 yrs. old, you should have let the story unfold for another year so he could've reached his full potential. Let me remove my tongue from my cheek...that's a heckuva deer and congratulations for having the patience to stay with him! If you're going to top him, check the mileage from AR to Alberta...lol.

8. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Awesome story and buck, Adam... Congrats!

Mature, public-land whitetails are one of hunting's toughest challenges!

Now... if you can just find a good taxidermist.
    Who controls John Gill?

9. Member
    Being a fellow Arkansan I can attest this is a GREAT buck for our state. We don't grow a bunch of 150+ deer here. It's a great story and a awesome buck. What went wrong on the shot? I know you said you shot for the heart and hit high (it happens, happened to me on a good buck a couple years ago) but what did the broad head hit? Just curious.

10. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Great deer and story.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

11. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Congratulations on an awesome trophy!

12. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Congrats
    LeaLea

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Being a fellow Arkansan I can attest this is a GREAT buck for our state. We don't grow a bunch of 150+ deer here. It's a great story and a awesome buck. What went wrong on the shot? I know you said you shot for the heart and hit high (it happens, happened to me on a good buck a couple years ago) but what did the broad head hit? Just curious.
    Thanks buddy. Head deployed and arrow was good. Broke at the fletching and was in cavity when i field dressed him. I think that is what slowed down the blood trail to the drips. For the first 50 yards, Stevie Wonder could have followed the blood trail. I hit one of those dead zones, it happens. Was a fatal hit but certainly not a fast one. Glad we were able to find him as would have been a slow one not worthy of a deer like this.

Fantastic deer!!! Congrats!!
    Charger 210 Elite

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    That's a great story and hunt Congrats!!! Very nice to get the "One" your after.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorbass P3 View Post
    Thanks buddy. Head deployed and arrow was good. Broke at the fletching and was in cavity when i field dressed him. I think that is what slowed down the blood trail to the drips. For the first 50 yards, Stevie Wonder could have followed the blood trail. I hit one of those dead zones, it happens. Was a fatal hit but certainly not a fast one. Glad we were able to find him as would have been a slow one not worthy of a deer like this.
    Yes it can happen, would really suck to have it happen on that buck. Glad you got him. Good job and thanks for sharing!

17. Banned
    Congrats!!!

18. Member
    Two really nice bucks, congrats.

19. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Congrats Adam, super deer and good to share the experience with your son. Those northwest deer are impressive.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

20. Member
    Great deer and background story!! Great job and congrats!! I can only imagine the emotions as you were tracking him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast