Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Deep Frying a Turkey.

Looks like we are deep frying the bird this year. I have the kettle and burner but have never done one. Watched some vidoes and have read a lot but wondering what you guys do for prep work. What oil do you recommend. Do you save the oil when done. How long per pound.

Thanks in advance.

I always used peanut oil and find season rub that you like to put on the outside of the bird. We also did use and injector and put some flavor inside the meat before dumping in the oil. I believe it was 3.5 minutes per pound and you will need to watch your temp after the bird is in there it seems to change through out he cooking process. I would drain the oil back into the container once cold with a strainer.

3. Member
    I brine for 24-48 hours, inject with some sort of butter concoction that I come up with (it changes every year depending on my tastes) and then dry the skin thoroughly before putting into the fryer. I have the Masterbuilt electric fryer and always use peanut oil.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

4. Banned
    Most important things you need to do are: don’t overfill the pot with oil and make sure the bird is completely dry before submersion.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

6. Member
    You can help yourself to not overfill the pot by putting the turkey in ahead of time and then covering with water. Make sure it covers the bird. Remove the turkey and hold it above the pot to completely drain and mark the water level that is left. That is how much oil you will need to fry the turkey.
    And make 100% sure the turkey doesn't have any water in it/on it when you drop it into the oil.

7. Member

Make absolutely sure to completely thaw the bird and have it room temp. Dumping ice in hot oil gets very energetic and will get you hurt. Lower bird slowly into oil. The safest way is to use a pole and two people lower it able to stand back a step or two.

I use welding gloves to lower the birds...turn the fire off before doing so..maintain 325...stay below 350...3.5 minutes per pound...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

10. Member
    Do what Flippin said, that is the correct way.

11. Member
    Peanut oil...do it outside...make sure bird thawed out all the way.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleyeguy456 View Post
    Looks like we are deep frying the bird this year. I have the kettle and burner but have never done one. Watched some vidoes and have read a lot but wondering what you guys do for prep work. What oil do you recommend. Do you save the oil when done. How long per pound.

Thanks in advance.
    If you get into it I recommend one of the electric fryers. IMO easier than dealing with having to do it outside and have extra propane / burner / big arse pot etc.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    peanut oil is thru the roof. save some coin and use canola oil and get it from a Club store.
    Last edited by ChampioNman; 11-14-2018 at 09:35 AM.

14. Member
    Don't do like my neighbor did a bunch of years ago. He did one outside and somehow lit his garage door on fire. He was fortunate another neighbor spotted it right after it started.

If you want to use the oil again later, get Peanut oil, otherwise you can use Canola or Vegetable.

#1 keep a fire extinguisher near by in case there is a problem!
    #2 MAKE SURE you set up your pot in a place that cannot be accessed by kids or pets.
    #3 As mentioned above, determine how full to fill the oil a few days ahead of time by putting the bird in the pot still in the wrapper and fill the pot with water, make a mark... then empty and dry the pot completely.
    #4 Brine the bird for 24 hours before cooking. Then inject. Then take paper towels and thoroughly dry the bird before lowering into the hot oil. Seasoning the outside of the bird won't do much for the flavor since it comes off as soon as you dip the bird into the oil and start frying.
    #5 Heat the oil to 350, cook at 350.
    #6 Turn off the fire as you lower the bird into the oil or remove it from the oil... this is to prevent splash and a possible grease fire. Below is a link to a nice rack you can pick up at Lowes that helps you to get the bird in/out of the oil.
    Use a thermometer in the breast to determine temp, cook until it the thickest part of the breast reaches 145, then rest for 15-20 minutes with a tinfoil tent... internal temp should then reach about 165.

Good luck and be safe!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bayou-Class...RoC7WUQAvD_BwE

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/...ey-safely.html

16. Member
    [QUOTE=Bub;9799379]

#3 As mentioned above, determine how full to fill the oil a few days ahead of time by putting the bird in the pot still in the wrapper and fill the pot with water, make a mark... then empty and dry the pot completely.
    QUOTE]

I would agree with everything but leaving the wrapper on the bird. The oil will go completely through the cavity of the bird....your water level check should do the same.

17. Member
    I hate the taste of peanut oil. I used lard. Oddly enough, lard is not as unhealthy as you might think because it does not soak in. People brag on my fried turkeys and I do nothing different than avoid peanut oil. If you have never fried one in lard, you are missing out on a tastier bird and saving some money.

18. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I have eaten turkeys cooked in any manner you can think of and love them all. Deep frying is probably my favorite bird.

Dale Sinclair original

19. Member
    i love these turkey frying threads, folks will spend $10 on a turkey. then spend 50 or a 100 to cook the damn thing. my brother and i tried to fry one once, he won a fryer where he works. ill just say it didnt go well.

20. Member
    I've used a butterball turkey fryer for 5 years and love it. I even do deep friend cornish game hens. I actually have 2 so I can do 2 birds at once. Completely safe inside no flame. Nobody even touches the regular turkey when my deep fried is there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast