Thread: New model 700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New model 700

BDL 270....got a bargain on a new one from the factory, my dad had one when I was little that I always wanted when I "grew up" but I haven't bought a Remington in years...did they ever get their quality issues straightened out???

Haven't bought it yet but there a good chance that between the birthday fairy and Santa Claus, that'll be what I get along with either a Nikon or a Leupold...or maybe a Redfield Revolution by Leupold...and make it as close to my dad's old rifle as I can...I got one of those revolution scopes on one of my 308s and it's served me well...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

2. Member
    Buy an old one if you can they are good rifles. Big green has not turned out a decent product in quite a few years.

3. Member
    I don't know much about the new ones but I will never sell the one I have ( 700 BDL Deluxe Lefthand model).
    It's been a great shooter for the past 30 plus years.
    If it wasn't for the wild hair I got last year and bought a TC Encore pro hunter it would be taking
    a walk into the woods with me on Saturday.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

4. Member
    Find an old one, or if it has to be new pick a different rifle.

Has the quality from Remington really went down that much?

Jonathan Hillstrand

6. Member
    ^^^ Yes its went down that much. Even the trusty ole 870's aren't what they used to be.

7. Member
    I wouldn't own a 270... Buy a 3006 and love every second of it
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

8. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Check out the Vortex scopes.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

9. Member
    I've bought two new 700's in the past three years. Not a single problem with either of them. I must have gotten lucky. I guess that all the thousands (or tens of thousands) of Remingtons sold in the past few years have all been failures for their owners.(except for mine)
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Oh hell no!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    I've bought two new 700's in the past three years. Not a single problem with either of them. I must have gotten lucky. I guess that all the thousands (or tens of thousands) of Remingtons sold in the past few years have all been failures for their owners.(except for mine)
    I do not think that if you buy a new one you are getting junk or a rifle that does not work. However I dare anyone to put one beside a 30 year old one and tell me they are just as good.

12. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Oh hell no!
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I do not think that if you buy a new one you are getting junk or a rifle that does not work. However I dare anyone to put one beside a 30 year old one and tell me they are just as good.
    Yep!

I've had several 06s in the past...always go back to a 308...the reason I want the 270 is because it's the gun that my dad had..the last rifle he bought was a model 70 Winchester 308...I've got it but I always wanted that Model 700 270...reason I was thinking about the Redfield scope was because of that same reason....I wash someone would remake the old illuminater scope...widefield....that was an awesome scope...

Jonathan Hillstrand

14. Member
    There’s nothing wrong with a 270. I’ve done just as much with my 270 as any 30-06. If he really wants to go for something more powerful then go with a 7mm magnum. I’m not saying a 30-06 is a bad round or anything, but there is nothing that round can do that my 270 can not. Especially with my reloads. And yes I also have a 30-06 that I do hand loads for as well. With the 30-06 you can pick a heavier grain bullet and if you compare ballistics with the same charge and grain bullet, at 100yards the 30-06 with hit harder but over 100 yards the 270 hits harder. Both trajectory are about the same till you get around 450 yards then the 30-06 drops more than the 270.
    Last edited by jc1992; 11-15-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Look, I got 3 308s, 7mm Remington magnum, 300 wsm, certainly not hurting for hunting rifles..I want the model 700 in the bdl chambered in 270 because that's what my.dad had way back when, if.i could get that rifle he had then, I'd go get it but can't so this is the next best thing...and I'm getting the friends and family discount...

Jonathan Hillstrand

16. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Matt I agree the Redfield Illuminator in the day was the top of the line, I had 2. But they are not even in the running with today's optics. Especially the upper end scopes Swavorski, Zeiss, Leopold and Nikon Monarchs etc... I still have one that was misplaced or loaned out without permission if you know what I mean. If I find it you are welcome to it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Look, I got 3 308s, 7mm Remington magnum, 300 wsm, certainly not hurting for hunting rifles..I want the model 700 in the bdl chambered in 270 because that's what my.dad had way back when, if.i could get that rifle he had then, I'd go get it but can't so this is the next best thing...and I'm getting the friends and family discount...
    Of course and sorry for the above rant an absolutely would do the same as you if I was in your shoes. My father also has an old Remington 700 in 270 that is his favorite rifle. I would love to have one just like it and I promise you I am on the search for one as well. If Remington would make them the way they used to it would make it a lot easier to find one with the same quality touches. But the new one will serve you well and again sorry for the sudden outburst above

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    Matt I agree the Redfield Illuminator in the day was the top of the line, I had 2. But they are not even in the running with today's optics. Especially the upper end scopes Swavorski, Zeiss, Leopold and Nikon Monarchs etc... I still have one that was misplaced or loaned out without permission if you know what I mean. If I find it you are welcome to it.
    Oh agree 100%. I have a Kahles 50 mm on my 300wsm BAR and that thing just literally spoiled me...when I tore my shoulder up and had to start toting that old BAR 308 I put a new revolution Redfield on it, 50mm, because I hadn't planned on using it long, but that was 3 years ago..I've got a Monarch on my Model 70 308 and it's very nice as well. Still having that old illuminater that I have, I think it's one of my old 22s believe it or not, overkill I know, but like you I know it doesn't hold a candle to these upper end scopes nowadays...my dad had one on a Browning a couple years ago that he had gotten from a gun store that had sent it to I guess Leupold and they refurbished it...it was like a brand new one...and it was awesome...you find that scope and send me a price I may take you up on it..

Jonathan Hillstrand

Mr Biomedical engineer, no need in apologizing to me...I actually went to the local dicks/field and stream this eve and they had the exact firearm, 270 bdl...I gave it a go over...finish was tight and smooth...action was the same..felt good on my shoulder which at this point in my life is the most important thing after three shoulder surgeries...looking at it there were no obvious imperfections...it was top of the line Remington...$914... On sale....

Jonathan Hillstrand

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Mr Biomedical engineer, no need in apologizing to me...I actually went to the local dicks/field and stream this eve and they had the exact firearm, 270 bdl...I gave it a go over...finish was tight and smooth...action was the same..felt good on my shoulder which at this point in my life is the most important thing after three shoulder surgeries...looking at it there were no obvious imperfections...it was top of the line Remington...$914... On sale....
    You'll be paying cash for that, obviously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast