Thread: Sparkplug

Sparkplug

Is the NGK BPZ8HS-10 at the motor parts store the same as the ones at a marine store. Big price difference .

If numbers match it should be the same.
    Had a 2.5 ltr hot rod Merc that was hard on plugs.. Finally found an auto parts tore that could order them a LOT cheaper.. .

3. Member
    ^ ^ ^ As long as numbers match (and no additional numbers or letters) should be same.

I order marine parts from Euro Marine here, and plugs from Rockauto (with my car parts).

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Same exact spark plug- ONLY difference is the Warranty provided.

Mercury Parts and Accessories carry a 1-year Parts and Labor Warranty against defects in Materials or Workmanship.

Auto Parts Stores (most) carry a "Replacement Warranty".

So if one falls apart into the engine and destroys the powerhead... that's really the only time it would make a difference.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Mercury Parts and Accessories carry a 1-year Parts and Labor Warranty against defects in Materials or Workmanship.

So if one falls apart into the engine and destroys the powerhead... that's really the only time it would make a difference.

Did not know that.
    How would anyone know for sure which one it was if it did destroy a powerhead ?.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Portions of the plug missing, evidence of early-stage failure due to debris. I have seen a handful of causes where you could conclusively say a plug failed and dropped a portion of the center electrode or porcelain into the cylinder.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Yes sir..
    If that did happen how would one know if the plug that failed was bought with a "replacement warranty" or the Mercury parts warranty ?..

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Parts and Accessories Warranty states that: "Proof of Purchase is Required".

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Don are you saying Mercury plugs would warranty a damaged powerhead if their plug came apart and took out a cylinder?

You seen a plug do that? In all my life I've never seen a plug come apart, knock on wood. I've seen a plug damaged by piston/ring fragments in a seizure. Motor was toast of course.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
    Don are you saying Mercury plugs would warranty a damaged powerhead if their plug came apart and took out a cylinder?

You seen a plug do that? In all my life I've never seen a plug come apart, knock on wood. I've seen a plug damaged by piston/ring fragments in a seizure. Motor was toast of course.
    I'd be interested to know as well...

I have, Two times. Tough it was due to severe detonation in both cases. Automotive motors not 2 strokes
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post

Yes, I have seen this scenario. Have also seen one where a plug took out a powerhead- the customer had even called in to Customer Service to find out what plug to use.

He chose to use a completely different plug than he was instructed (from an automotive supplier), so he ended up owning the blown powerhead. Had it happened with an OEM supplied plug, the outcome would have been different for him.