Banned

Ultrex cable getting caught on graph

Anyone else have the problem of the steering cable getting caught on the right side of your graph when stowing the motor? I have a Helix 10 on a BBT mount and have to make a conscious effort to grab the cable so it doesn’t get caught. I have forgot a few times and sure this puts excessive wear on the cable when it binds? Suggestions?

2. Member
    Following. Mine hasn't got caught yet...but it seems like it could. I believe I have read on here that someone unscrews the pedal and gives it a rotation which causes the cable to stay between the pedal and motor. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the thread again.

3. Member
    I have the same exact problem and same graph. Just put the ultrex on last week and it's too much effort to deal with the cable every time I put the motor in the water. I PMed a guy who had this same post last year and he said he just wrestled the cables and forced them to lay to the left and out of the way. He recommended I wait until the summer heat and try the same. That's the plan unless I can figure something else out over the winter. For me the problem would be solved if I could rotate the cables upward where they come out of the mount, like my maxxum was, but that doesn't look to be possible. I'm subbed in case others have a solution.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=896393

Mine did the same thing. I just wrap the Velcro hold down strap around the cable and hold,it close to the tm mount. Not perfect but it keeps it from catching my graph.
    2003 Ranger 521VX
    2003 Mercury 250XS S# 0T652530

5. Member
    I didn’t like the way my cable was laying, so instead of takin all the screws out of the pedal, and having to pull slack in the wires to twist the pedal, I just took the one allen head bolt off that holds the ultrex to the mount, took the trollin motor off the mount, rotated the whole trollin motor one revolution end over end and the cable now lays the direction I want it. (I’d recommend gettin help from someone to do this cause that lower unit is bit heavy). My power pole buttons are on the same side as the trollin motor so I also had to “retrain” my cable to lay on the deck, and not on the buttons, by pushing the cable to the other side of the bounce buster rod when stowing the troller. Only had to do that 3 or 4 times. Now all is good.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashxx View Post
    Mine did the same thing. I just wrap the Velcro hold down strap around the cable and hold,it close to the tm mount. Not perfect but it keeps it from catching my graph.
    +2

I do the same thing

7. Banned
    I was looking at it this morning. It looks like you could utilize the upper-left hole of the graph mount to use a cable clamp to hold down the cable.

Here's what I did. Just a twist of the foot pedal takes the wires to lay along the mount instead of looping over the graph. Very clean and less cluttered and out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

So I messed with mine for a while on this. I have a dual bbt with 2 12s and it took me forever to figure out how to make it work without having pinched wires or it getting stuck on one of my units. I actually ended up using a screw tie wrap and looping it to the left I of my pedal so it keeps the cable away from my units along with not getting pinched under the mount. Figured it out just in time to trade on a 19. All I can say is every application is different and you just need to take some tools out with you and mess with it till you figure out the best way to make it work
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

10. Banned
    I ended up putting a small cable clamp under that top left screw on the mount, then zip tied the steering cable down. Appears to have solved the problem.

11. Member

Ultrex foot pedal hitting graphs on Ram Mounts and controls for boat

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Here's what I did. Just a twist of the foot pedal takes the wires to lay along the mount instead of looping over the graph. Very clean and less cluttered and out of the way.

Thank you so much! I twisted the foot pedal around two times, and all of my problems are now solved!

Check out the pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmiskus View Post
    Thank you so much! I twisted the foot pedal around two times, and all of my problems are now solved!

Check out the pics...
    Glad to have been a help !! Now go catch some fish !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents