Queston on the new Merc 4 stroke Pro XS

How much of an improvement is this over say a 2017 4 stroke Merc? What are the pros and cons of this new engine? I am looking at staying with the 150 or 175, but have to check $, its $500 difference comparing 150 vs Pro XS, and $2500 more for the 175 I feel that out of line price wise. This would be on a Ranger 1850 MS or Ranger 1880 Angler, will not jump up to 200, its at least $4 grand more. Appreciate and thoughts on this engine. Will not buy until summer of 2019 or fall of 2019. I have a 150 4 stoke Yamaha on my 2012 Ranger 1850 RS and I am happy with the 150.

2. Banned
    Wondering the same. I have a 150 opti pro xs on my z118 and was looking to move into a 4s. A dealer told me the other day that I will not be happy with the performance compared to the 2s pro xs. The reasoning was the 2s pro xs is a v6 and the 150 4s pro xs is an inline 4. It makes sense but the numbers I am seeing are suggesting the 4s is just as good performance wise. Thoughts?

I own the 150 4s...this is my first 4 stroke motor as my previous was a '97 120 Force 2s.

The 150 4s...gets my Z518 on plane in seconds and is consistent around 54-55 MPH. It sips gas and is a riot to drive.

Don't hesitate in deciding the Merc 150 4s.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    I own the 150 4s...this is my first 4 stroke motor as my previous was a '97 120 Force 2s.

The 150 4s...gets my Z518 on plane in seconds and is consistent around 54-55 MPH. It sips gas and is a riot to drive.

Don't hesitate in deciding the Merc 150 4s.
    Ok thanks. I can get my z118 to 60mph with just me loaded and 57-58 loaded with 2 people so looks like the pro xs is a little quicker but I’d take the benefits of the 4s over the opti.

5. Member
    My Z-175 burned last week in one of the CA fires. I am looking to buy a Z-185 in the coming weeks. My Z-175 had an Evinrude, which I loved. Would I be crazy to pay $5,000 more for a G2 HO than the Pro XS Four Stroke? Are they pretty comparable engines? The Ranger website has the package listed at just about $5,000 more to get a G2 compared to the Pro XS. My preference is for an Evinrude, but is that simply too much of a difference for pretty comparable motors?

I got the Pro XS 4 Stoke on my Z518 and love it!

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    What I did when I ordered my latest boat last fall was compare everything between the 2 engines. The G2 has as standard several features that the Mercury does not have, and most of those features (I have used the auto-trim very little) have been extremely helpful and convenient. The G2 is also an exceptional performer. Then when you look at their warranties (I got 10 years), the price difference disappears. I would have liked to have spent less on my new boat, yes, but liking the boat and having confidence in it was more important. After a year’s use on my G2, I still grin every time I put it in the water. 83 hours on it this year and could not be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennorton View Post
    My Z-175 burned last week in one of the CA fires. I am looking to buy a Z-185 in the coming weeks. My Z-175 had an Evinrude, which I loved. Would I be crazy to pay $5,000 more for a G2 HO than the Pro XS Four Stroke? Are they pretty comparable engines? The Ranger website has the package listed at just about $5,000 more to get a G2 compared to the Pro XS. My preference is for an Evinrude, but is that simply too much of a difference for pretty comparable motors?
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    Im in the same boat would like to get the 518 and trying to decide what motor I currently have a 188vs with a 175 Yamaha hpdi I think im going to be disappointed
    with a 150 Im looking at the 4 stroke sho Yamaha 150 I think it will only be a 54-55 mph im also looking a the G2 rude

9. Member
    I have a 2017 Ranger 1880MS with the I4 Verado 200. It's a heavy boat, if I was buying today, I would go for the 200 Pro XS. Many people buy the 1880 with the 150 four stroke motor and they typically report that they about see 44-45 mph as their top speed. Are you intending to pull skiers? If yes, that should influence your decision. The 175 and 200 4S and 175 pro XS are all 209 CID V6s, the 200 Pro XS is a 279 CID V8. If you are going to pull skiers up, I think one of those V6 motors may be a better choice in your price range. Your dealer can probably tell you which one will give you the most bang for your buck, I expect that the hole shot should be pretty similar for all 3.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkrum View Post
    I have a 2017 Ranger 1880MS with the I4 Verado 200. It's a heavy boat, if I was buying today, I would go for the 200 Pro XS. Many people buy the 1880 with the 150 four stroke motor and they typically report that they about see 44-45 mph as their top speed. Are you intending to pull skiers? If yes, that should influence your decision. The 175 and 200 4S and 175 pro XS are all 209 CID V6s, the 200 Pro XS is a 279 CID V8. If you are going to pull skiers up, I think one of those V6 motors may be a better choice in your price range. Your dealer can probably tell you which one will give you the most bang for your buck, I expect that the hole shot should be pretty similar for all 3.
    I am 75 and pulling skiers not in my list of what the boat will be used for. If I buy the 2017 which is new, it has 150 Merc 4 stroke. If I decide to buy later this year, I would see when the extended warranty is offered and what is covered and for how long? I would keep my boat and then sell sometime in May or June. My local dealer felt I could get max of $3k and the least $31k, but that his opinion. Thanks for your input. I am going to also see what the local dealer has in stock in late Feb and early March, all the Rangers 1850 ms and the Angler are 2019. Thanks for your input

11. Member
    Just saw you were from Paradise, I hope all is well for you and your loved ones. Good luck on your replacement boat and sorry you have to deal with everything.....

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    What I did when I ordered my latest boat last fall was compare everything between the 2 engines. The G2 has as standard several features that the Mercury does not have, and most of those features (I have used the auto-trim very little) have been extremely helpful and convenient. The G2 is also an exceptional performer. Then when you look at their warranties (I got 10 years), the price difference disappears. I would have liked to have spent less on my new boat, yes, but liking the boat and having confidence in it was more important. After a year’s use on my G2, I still grin every time I put it in the water. 83 hours on it this year and could not be happier.
    i have no interest in a 2 stroke. I have a low hour opti pro xs that performs better the the g2 and the 4s pro xs. I'm not a fan of the expensive oil, and tough to maintain set up. I'm no outboard professional but I can handle the maintenance of the 4s. I'm sure the g2 is a great motor it just doesn't make sense when I don't want a 2 stroke.

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Jtracc, the reason I quoted Kennorton is that my reply was directed specifically at his question. Apologies to the OP if we got off topic. — JC
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Jtracc, the reason I quoted Kennorton is that my reply was directed specifically at his question. Apologies to the OP if we got off topic. — JC
    All good man. I actually don't mind the G2 and a dealer I spoke to recommended it over the 4s pro xs. I'm just not in a 2s mood anymore.

My Z-175 burned last week in one of the CA fires.\
    Man, your area and you have been through way too much. CA is one dry fire pit and it's constantly under pressure of wildfires.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

16. Member

So many lost and so many more still unaccounted for.

Take care and I look forward to seeing your new Ranger and things getting back towards normal.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coach76 View Post
    How much of an improvement is this over say a 2017 4 stroke Merc? What are the pros and cons of this new engine? I am looking at staying with the 150 or 175, but have to check $, its $500 difference comparing 150 vs Pro XS, and $2500 more for the 175 I feel that out of line price wise. This would be on a Ranger 1850 MS or Ranger 1880 Angler, will not jump up to 200, its at least $4 grand more. Appreciate and thoughts on this engine. Will not buy until summer of 2019 or fall of 2019. I have a 150 4 stoke Yamaha on my 2012 Ranger 1850 RS and I am happy with the 150.
    If the 150 is like the 115 then it’s basically a different PCM with a higher rev limit and different decals. They let the 115 breath a little more so it has a little more growl. As for the 150 vs 175...I’ve done that on the same hull with a 2S. I had a standard 150 Opti and a 175 ProXS 2S on the same hull. The 175 was about 5 MPH faster, but more important it carried a full load with two big guys WAY better. I bet the 4S’s will be similar. Most don’t find that kind of money wise unless you are buying knowing you can normally move up to a 200 for not much more. I couldn’t fit a 200 rated hull in my garage at that time. Back then the 200 was like 500-1000 more than a 175. Must be different because of the newly released 200 4S?

Praying for you all out there!

18. Member
    My brother and nephew both run a SHO I'm staying 2 stroke for a bit till the truth comes out on these new motors as we all know the first running year or so they will see some bugs and once they work them out my next boat will be a 4 stroke EX: optimax 98-2003 had some bugs but so far all good news on the new mercury motors.