Lithium Starting on the new Mercury V8 4-Stroke?

Hello all. Just a question. I know what the manual says but has anyone tried Lithium on the new Mercury V8 4-Stroke? I have my trolling batteries on the way, but debating on the starting battery.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I don't know about a V8 4 stroke but I can tell you that my 300XS opti started a lot quicker with my Lithium 80 amp 1000CCA than with a previous 1200CCA AGM 2XPower battery. That surprised me. Too bad I can't keep the lithium as my cranker cuz I lost performance by removing that heavy 80LB AGM. I put it back and got my performance back. So I'm gonna use the lithium as a house battery for my electronics etc.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    I ran a Relion 100 ah on my 250 Pro XS and it was the best battery I ever used on the motor.
    I also ran the same battery on a Suzuki 200 flawless
    Now I own a New Mercury 225 V6 and a new Relion 100 ah and it's flawless.
    The lithium has constant power to the battery all day long so this helps all the electronics work at there peak performance.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

4. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    Hello all. Just a question. I know what the manual says but has anyone tried Lithium on the new Mercury V8 4-Stroke? I have my trolling batteries on the way, but debating on the starting battery.

Thanks in advance.
    A few of my customers along with myself are running the Relion RB-100HP batteries with the new Mercury 250 4stroke without issue.

However will say that some guys at Mercury say its not recommended and the owner manual only suggest an AGM battery, but nobody can give us an answer as to why.

5. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    There are several reasons possibly why.

One may be that the LiOns have an ability to that their cranking voltage itself is higher and remains able for a sustained time to maintain such voltage during heavy cranking loading....not necessarily a good thing for a hard starting motor due to a fuel or other reason remaining unable to start.

Starters would be taxed with more current and reach higher temps than possible than on a typically sized lead acid. Starting motor winding might actually fail if the owner persisted cranking.

6. Member
    I think it has to do with the higher amp alternator and the battery being able to handle the charging amps. BUT if that is true, that means the lithium would be a perfect fit assuming that was the only consideration.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter689 View Post
    A few of my customers along with myself are running the Relion RB-100HP batteries with the new Mercury 250 4stroke without issue.

However will say that some guys at Mercury say its not recommended and the owner manual only suggest an AGM battery, but nobody can give us an answer as to why.
    With a brand new motor, under warranty, and the manual being specific as to what battery to use, why would anybody want to disregard what the manufacturer recommends? Is the weight savings that important to possibly jeopardize the engine?
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    With a brand new motor, under warranty, and the manual being specific as to what battery to use, why would anybody want to disregard what the manufacturer recommends? Is the weight savings that important to possibly jeopardize the engine?
    Your are not jeopardizing your motor under warranty by using Lithium's
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

9. Member
    I’m running the new merc 250 four stroke with a relion 100 hp with no problems so far. Even at 28 degree morning couple days ago.

10. Member
    Which 100AH Relion? I see 100-HP and 100-DHP?

11. Member
    Nevermind. D = DIN .

12. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    We put a lot of the 100 HP ReLion in with 200 and 250. 2 and 4 stroke. Have had ZERO issues to date. I run a 100HP in my 521C with full load, 3 HDS-12 Carbons, and all pumps...starts my 250 SHO flawlessly. We sell a bunch of these.

Have a new Phoenix 920 coming in about 2 weeks with Mercury 4 stroke so can claim anything yet but anticipate no problems.

Roy
    Last edited by rbarrow; 11-19-2018 at 11:16 PM.