Thread: Trailer hub oil

Trailer hub oil

What is the best oil to use in trailer hubs?
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

2. Member
    Lucas hub oil

3. Banned
    I like Lucas thick red axle grease hand packed into the bearings.

My fifth wheel trailer came with a thin axle grease in the tandem axles. They were quicker to install than hand packing thick grease. The thin "oil" if overfilled passes through the rear oil seal and contaminates the brake shoes with oil--making the brakes not work properly. It's a serious problem with RV trailers.

Thick sticky bearing grease is only $4.99 per tube at Walmart, and it doesn't contaminate brakes.

Most UFP hubs call for there brand of 50wt oil.... I figure any 50 wt would be sufficient..
    As mentioned above Lucas makes a couple.. I don't know what wt they are but one is shown to be heavy duty.l

5. Member
    UFP oil bath hubs? Back in 2007 I was told by UFP, 50W Valvoline racing oil.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

6. Member
    What Ed R said 50W Valvoline racing oil

Stratos 285XL
    Yamaha VMax 150
    USAF 1968-1989

7. Member
    It seemed like I was constantly replacing seals on my ‘07 when I was running 50 weight. Went to 90 weight and didn’t help. I tried the Lucas hub oil the last time I had to replace the seals and never had another problem for the last 5 years I owned that boat. Lucas is the only oil that I personally would run in oil baths based on my experience.

8. Member
    I’ve run the Lucas M8 gear lube in both my Ranger Cool oil hubs and my lower unit for years. Stays thinner when cold making it easy to drain in the cold fall and holds up really well through the summer heat towing. I’ve actually been impressed how little breakdown I see between changes, usually barely discolored.

The UFP oil is graphite based... It's different.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

As stated some applications may be specific. If not then I wouldnt run anything other than lucas hub oil we run thag in the buses at work wouldnt have anything else far superior
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Do busses get dunked in the lake twice a day? Water intrusion can make a difference in lubication when water is added. Lucas may be the best, I'm just say'in.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I've used the Valvoline 50wt racing oil for years simple because it's easily available at a decent price.
    IMO it's more about proper maintenance than what brand is inside.. Odds are they all start from the same oil just have different additives.

13. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Lucas has additives that helps to keep the seals from leaking.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Do busses get dunked in the lake twice a day? Water intrusion can make a difference in lubication when water is added. Lucas may be the best, I'm just say'in.
    I dont know of too many water proof oils do you? Thats why oil hubs need to be sealed up pretty tight compared to a grease hub. If you have water intrusion it doesnt matter what oil youre running its not going to be good. Personally i wouldnt run oil bath hubs on a boat trailer for the water intrusion reason.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    I dont know of too many water proof oils do you? Thats why oil hubs need to be sealed up pretty tight compared to a grease hub. If you have water intrusion it doesnt matter what oil youre running its not going to be good. Personally i wouldnt run oil bath hubs on a boat trailer for the water intrusion reason.
    We'll have to disagree... Oils for outboard LU are a good comparison. We try not to let water in, But sometimes a little does and you want the proper oil to combat the water.

I have 15+ years using oil bath hubs towing, dunking, w/o one problem.

https://www.myoildepot.com/productca..._Gear_Lube.pdf