Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Set smoker on 200 degrees and let her smoke for 10 to 12 hours ensure you keep your temp right at 200 degrees. I use Hickory, Apple or Peach depending on my mood but mostly hickory. I do not brine or inject and never have had a dry turkey I use a Tucker Cooker made in Memphis, TN I will try to post a pic of my last bird and smoker.
    Everyone has their way of doing it but I stick with what works for me. I am a mat eater and I love to taste meat not injections flavor or what ever. Just my two cents.!!!!

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...dapted-cooking

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    I looked breifly for this recipe and could not find it. It is on there website correct??
    There is no reason to brine unless you are buying a fresh turkey. I primarily use Butterball Turkeys.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...dapted-cooking

There is no reason to brine unless you are buying a fresh turkey. I primarily use Butterball Turkeys.
    +1 most frozen are injected with a salt solution to enhance flavor and make the meat juicy. That’s why grandmas baked turkey is always moist. My first frozen turkey I brined and smoked was too salty.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Brine it and cook to 165. Be vigilant on the temperature so you don't overcook. The smoke ring generally happens before the meat really starts cooking, so it's important to have plenty of smoke going on early in the process and not to start out with too much heat.
    Careful with that. Turkey needs to reach a certain temp within a certain time frame or it can develop bochalism. I know I didn’t spell that right. Low and slow is not the way to do a bird. It’s not needed because it’s not a tough meat like brisket or ribs.

5. Banned
    brine 100%. you wont regret it. I promise. In my experience a brine (both smoking and other cooking situations) isnt taken in like a marinade. Yea it does season the meat....but i think the brine infuses more moisture than flavor and thats the real purpose for it comparing it to a straight marinade. I put a good amount of molasses in my brine....and not a hint of it in the final product.

To each their own, but I think brining helps....and I think its makes things a little more "dummy-proof" and the other big reason I recommend it and like to do it myself. Turkey is real easy to dry out, and poultry in general....this little extra moisture from the brine helps prevent that imo.

6. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I've fried, smoked oven cooked etc... the green egg will do a mean smoke as well as the deep fryer. Last year I done a spatchcock Turkey by far the best I've had and the cook time was only like 2 hrs. I will be doing another this year, next and next etc...

7. Member
    I have looked up some brine recipes and there are a million of them, but what is the general desired ratio for the salt to the ice bath. I don't want it salty but want to get it absorbed into the bird.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Careful with that. Turkey needs to reach a certain temp within a certain time frame or it can develop bochalism. I know I didn’t spell that right. Low and slow is not the way to do a bird. It’s not needed because it’s not a tough meat like brisket or ribs.
    I was not aware of that.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    I've fried, smoked oven cooked etc... the green egg will do a mean smoke as well as the deep fryer. Last year I done a spatchcock Turkey by far the best I've had and the cook time was only like 2 hrs. I will be doing another this year, next and next etc...
    I intend to try the spatchcock method this year too.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

This dude knows what he's talking about... I've used several of his videos and have never been disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    This dude knows what he's talking about... I've used several of his videos and have never been disappointed!

That’s the one I use too.

12. Banned
    I promise you arent making a ball of salt...promise! Brines more about moisture than flavor. I know it doesnt make sense....but dont think of it as a marinade. I couldnt taste any of the cayenne or any of the other seasonings in the cooked bird. Brining is more about moisture than flavor.

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2014/02/...ke-it-saltier/

Everyone has their own way but I have tried the brine and injection stuff. Simply not for me. I will still with a good rub like Rudy's BBQ and an appropriate amount of time over the smoke to get mine done.

14. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    I rarely brine, have better results injecting the night before and letting it sit overnight.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

I will say it again, there is no reason to brine! It is not necessary! I have done it once and there was no difference in flavor or juice.

Here is one from last year.

Attached Images Attached Images

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I will say it again, there is no reason to brine! It is not necessary! I have done it once and there was no difference in flavor or juice.

Here is one from last year.

My thoughts as well. I have tried it myself and no real difference nor did I taste any difference when others who rave about it do it. I also don't want a blob of butter and garlic etc from injecting it. I want Thanksgiving turkey to be Thanksgiving turkey.....

17. Banned
    smh. im wondering if you all just follow me to tell me how wrong I am. Never tried brine vs non brined turkey...but it 100% makes a difference with chicken. And as much as BBC'ers are experts and have inside knowledge of everything....youll read wayyyy more articles telling you to brine poulty versus not doing it.

im not a scientist and dont know how things work....but the birds absorb moisture while in the brine. I dont understand how it cant make a difference when thats a fact. To each their own tho...i cant win with you BBCers, Ill keep doing things my delicious wrong ways.

18. Banned
    spend 10-15 bucks at walmart for 2 chickens. Brine one vs no brine one. Do a blind taste test....and I promise youll pick the brined one.

Start by using a chicken instead and you won’t have to work so hard trying to make something flavorless taste like something

20. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    smh. im wondering if you all just follow me to tell me how wrong I am. Never tried brine vs non brined turkey...but it 100% makes a difference with chicken. And as much as BBC'ers are experts and have inside knowledge of everything....youll read wayyyy more articles telling you to brine poulty versus not doing it.

im not a scientist and dont know how things work....but the birds absorb moisture while in the brine. I dont understand how it cant make a difference when thats a fact. To each their own tho...i cant win with you BBCers, Ill keep doing things my delicious wrong ways.
    The bolded is true about everything in life, each will have their preferences once you know what they are run with it and enjoy. The fact people will say what works for this is rather the point of any forums, kind of pointless without others giving their opinion.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast