Cold weather Large Mouths?

Hey guys - First time this year bass fishing in cold weather. I fish the the rivers around here mostly (Neuse in North Carolina). I am use to "beating the bank" in the warm weather, but what approach do I need to take for this time of year ?

2. Member
    Fished the Pasquotank River Sunday. It was 35* when we launched. We caught fish all day on crankbaits and jigs. IMHO fishing the rivers this time of year you need to fish areas where deeper water is close to the cover. We usually follow the creek channel and fish where it gets close to the bank with trees, stumps and laydowns. The fish may not be in the stumps they may be sitting where the shallow water drops off into the creek channel. You have to see where they are on any given day.

3. Member
    I like current and wood usually. Also, rockpiles and current breaks closer to deeper water. Usually crankbait, rattle trap, or flippin. But on our river the smallies go deeper. Gotta throw a 300 series or let a rattle trap fall to em. Im on pools 10-12 of mississippi river. So not sure how your river system is, but thats how we search em out.

4. Banned
    Fish the mouths of creeks... Where thecreeks drop into the main river channel... Silver Buddys, grubs, jigging spoons... Dan

5. Member
    I stopped reading at North Carolina...It doesn't get cold in North Carolina...
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

6. Member
    It is cold right now.

7. Member
    Keep beating the bank, just make sure some deep water is nearby, big flats aren't going to hold fish. Crankbait, jigs are good choices, just fish slow. Spent a couple years there, ran up up the Neuse and caught plenty. Trent was always tougher for me, Pamlico creeks were good too.

8. Member
    Should we be focusing on the main river or in the creeks ?

9. Member
    Creek mouths.

10. Member
    Thank you guys so much. Here is a pic of basically where I fish. I put pointers to the major creeks. So should I have the boat in the creek fishing out to the mouth and back or boat in the main river and fishing across the mouth? Sorry I am not experienced with much other than beating the bank.

Attached Images Attached Images

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mctyndall View Post
    Thank you guys so much. Here is a pic of basically where I fish. I put pointers to the major creeks. So should I have the boat in the creek fishing out to the mouth and back or boat in the main river and fishing across the mouth? Sorry I am not experienced with much other than beating the bank.

The answer is yes and it depends.lol Just gotta try it and see what you like best and how you the fish seem to like it.

12. Member
    A rig will catch the bigger fish