RT188 jackplate for jet

Found a deal on a 14 rt188 with Pro Xs 2 stroke. Eventually I’m wanting to run a jet lower for river fishing and shallow reservoirs near me. Those who own a jet RT, can you get by with 4” like an atlas micro or did you risk warranty and go 6”?i don’t need it for my prop lower just for a jet. Getting shallow on a prop is of little concern to me.

2. Member
    The Ranger RT boat is not setup for a outboard jet foot straight from the factory. Cowtown had to redesign the entire back transom and remove a section of the rib from the bottom of the boat so it did not Cavitate. I think you will have issues.

3. Member
    Understand. But I wasn’t going to pay that premium for their customization. The rib is not an issue as multiple boats on my local waterways have accommodated jets. Will it run in an inch of water, no. Not my intentions to jump sand bars etc. Ranger will build an RT with a raised transom to accommodate a jet. I’m looking for my best option with those with experience with a standard transom RT and a jet

4. Member
    my suggestion - pick one or the other then build your rig around whichever motor you choose. cavitation is a big issue with a lot of production hull boats, especially pad hulls. in terms of performance, jets suck. the ONLY advantage to a jet is running in inches of water. they suck fuel, they are slow, they are loud, and they plug up with leaves and grass
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

5. Member
    I spent most of my summer in friends jets, I’ve seen those issues. Our rivers are full of rocks so a jet is the only way I feel comfortable putting my ride on that water. Long story short, if I can get by with a 4 inch that’d be great. Ranger would be happy with remaining warranty and I’d be happy with more options. There is another local with an RT188 with a jet but had a raised transom installed by ranger which is not an option. So I’m lokking for the best alternative.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol-Blue View Post
    I spent most of my summer in friends jets, I’ve seen those issues. Our rivers are full of rocks so a jet is the only way I feel comfortable putting my ride on that water. Long story short, if I can get by with a 4 inch that’d be great. Ranger would be happy with remaining warranty and I’d be happy with more options. There is another local with an RT188 with a jet but had a raised transom installed by ranger which is not an option. So I’m lokking for the best alternative.
    but the question is, do you want to be going through inches of water in your boat? you WILL hit and it will put dents and gouges and cracks in your hull. for the price of a jackplate and jet pump, you may want to look at a seperate smaller boat with a tiller jet or small prop with rock gaurd.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

7. Member
    I’m expecting to dent. Ding. Gouge. Don’t care bout that