Motor position during extended time of storage(winter months)

Sorry if this has been covered already but is it okay to keep the motor on the transom saver during extended periods of non use or is it suppose to be straight up and down? I have 2013 200 SHO and live in Western New York.
    Thanks

2. Member
    You will hear many opinions but I always trim the motor as far down as possible. The explanation I was given was that this did at least two things. First it prevents water from catching and staying in the prop hub and possibly freezing. Second is that I was told this retracts your tilt / trim shafts and allows the trim unit to not be under pressure. I'm not sure about the second point but preventing freezing water is for sure a good idea if your boat is stored outside. Anyway this is what I've done since 1990 with 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines and I've not had a problem.

Down,however I stop at the trim tilt because I do not want them to stay compressed.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

4. Member
    Thanks.

5. Member
    Definitely in the vertical position. Like BOATS said though, I stop at same spot. FYI ChooChoo, the trim tilt unit is under pressure except when all the way trimmed up. When you check your trim fluid make sure it's all the way up cause it'll make a mess otherwise cause it's under pressure.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tablerockslinger View Post
    Definitely in the vertical position. Like BOATS said though, I stop at same spot. FYI ChooChoo, the trim tilt unit is under pressure except when all the way trimmed up. When you check your trim fluid make sure it's all the way up cause it'll make a mess otherwise cause it's under pressure.
    Thanks for the enlightenment and the advice about checking the trim fluid level!