Thread: A-Rig Rod?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    Do you guys find there's an advantage with the Moderate Taper with regards to Casting and setting the hook?
    Yes, definitely for 2 reasons. Easier casting to lob the rig out there and there's a little give in the rod if you throw with braid, which I prefer.

2. Member
    Bought the fury 795sb on a black Friday deal to use for A rig.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Yes, definitely for 2 reasons. Easier casting to lob the rig out there and there's a little give in the rod if you throw with braid, which I prefer.
    Thank you DMart1! That's more or less the response I was looking for. I always forget if a Moderate Fast Taper helps or hinders chucking heavy baits. I figured it would likely help in hookups similarly as it would for crankbaits but I don't want to wear myself out using a H-F or H-XF flipping rod instead of just getting a technique specific A-Rig rod.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    Thank you DMart1! That's more or less the response I was looking for. I always forget if a Moderate Fast Taper helps or hinders chucking heavy baits. I figured it would likely help in hookups similarly as it would for crankbaits but I don't want to wear myself out using a H-F or H-XF flipping rod instead of just getting a technique specific A-Rig rod.

Most of the time the fish hook themselves on the a rig, or they do on the 5 wire rigs we throw. A rod that makes it more comfortable on you to throw all day is much more important than hook setting power. I would prefer more give in my rod for casting and playing fish than the rod im using now but its not a huge disadvantage. I dont have any problem throwing it all day but i find several times throughout the day i have to tell myself to slow down and just lob it as opposed to throwing it as hard as i can. When the a rig very first came out and we werent sure what to throw it on (i didnt have a rod that would handle it), i threw it all day for four straight days and i was sore and completely worn out by the end of the tourny
    They aint got hands, set the hook

5. Member
    FX Custom Rods
    Extreme Angler Series
    7'7" Heavy Fast
    Super light, Super strong. It's got enough give in the tip to let'em eat it and enough backbone to sink the hook!

6. Member
    I'm a big fan of high end rods, but I bought a Irod Genesis II jr. swimbait rod a few years ago on black friday. I think it was $100. It's one of my favorite rods and it's great for A-rigs.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I'm a big fan of high end rods, but I bought a Irod Genesis II jr. swimbait rod a few years ago on black friday. I think it was $100. It's one of my favorite rods and it's great for A-rigs.
    I was actually looking at a few different models of the IROD. I've had a couple other models in the past and really like them. But I hadn't tried their swimbait rods yet.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Agree, swimbait rods make the best A rig rods with braid. The give in them allows the fish to suck in the baits then the lower powerful half of the rod allows you to put the wood to them with that 50-60# braid. I've had smallmouth suck in 2 of the baits w/ hooks 6" apart (with both hooks up thru the roof of their mouth) before I could set the hook.

9. Member
    I use the Powell Inferno 765 SBR. No problems for me once I quit throwing them on braid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12