Retractable rod hold down straps

Does anyone know where I can purchase two more of these retractable rod tie down straps or what brand this is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Cabell.so or Bass Pro have them. Got one at Cabell's to replace mine last spring.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

In the picture it looks exactly like what I have but mine is not retractable. It is actually a rubber bungee. I had one break and I could not find a kit to replace it, however I was able to find a replacement bungee. It was made to be installed on top of the deck but I was able to use my mount and just replace my broken bungee. To replace the bungee remove the two screws in the housing. Pull out the housing and remove the old bungee. Thread the new one through the hole and tie a knot in the end so it does not pull through the housing. The cord I had was too long so I had to figure out the correct place to tie the knot so the length would be correct. The knot is hid behind the mount/top cap so a person would never even know all you done was tie a knot in the bungee. Re-install the housing and your good to go. If all you need is the bungee here is a link to buy one...https://www.amazon.com/YYST-Tamer-Ho...ords=rod+strap

4. Member

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theblurr View Post
    Does anyone know where I can purchase two more of these retractable rod tie down straps or what brand this is.
    Those are T&H Marine. There are 2 sizes so check before you buy. 2 or 3 years before they crack. My advise, use bungee cords. Cut one hook off and slide the cord thru the gunnel piece and tie a knot in the cord. Bungee will hold the rods better/ tighter to the deck and wont break on 60/70 mph runs

Those bungees can be "made" by buying some cord and hooks someplace like Amazon. I bought and made some for a different project (home made dock sticks), then noticed that the TH Marine rod tie-downs I have on my boat are made with exactly the same components. The only difference is that one side has a loop instead of a hook.

The hooks work by putting a sleeve over the cord, inserting the end of the cord into the hook which has two tabs with barbs, then sliding the sleeve over the base of the hook/tabs. The sleeve pushes the tabs down and the barbs sink into the cord to keep it from coming loose. It actually works really nice and you end up with a professional looking finished product. The only trick is cutting the bungee cord. A hot knife would be ideal, but I just wrapped it with masking tape and cut it with scissors in the middle of the tape, then took a lighter to it to clean up the frayed pieces. No issues at all.

Here's what I bought:
    Bungee/Shock Cord Hooks

And the cord.

Something like this would work perfectly for what the OP wants. You can make it exactly the length you'd need to fit your existing set up with brand new bungee cord.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    Thanks everyone, i really appreciate the help!

Bill Reynolds came up with a DIY retractable bungee system. Following his lead, I was able to make a set (using cord and hooks like DrewFlu explained above) that flush mounted in the gunwale.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=785291

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Bill Reynolds came up with a DIY retractable bungee system. Following his lead, I was able to make a set (using cord and hooks like DrewFlu explained above) that flush mounted in the gunwale.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=785291
    He "the blurr" can use all his existing hardware just like this. Worked perfect on mine

T-H Marine makes an 18” version.
    https://www.amazon.com/T-H-Marine-Su...ble+rod+straps
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by theblurr View Post
    If you PM your email address I will send you a PDF that will show you how to use your existing components and end up with an improved version .

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching