Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I know my opinion is more than likely going to be in the minority but I am okay with that. I think it's irrelevant that your asking about a Costa tournament. The real question should be can a P2 handle Big O, Chick and Santee. The P2 is plenty big enough for two people to tournament fish out of. It also plenty big enough to fish any of the three waters you list. Now there is a possibility the water can get rough and in this case you will have to know your ability to maneuver in rough water as well as the boat's ability to maneuver in rough water but the P2 is plenty enough boat for the waters mentioned. On a real rough day a 25 ft offshore boat would take a beating on the big O. It's all about knowing your ability to drive the boat to its full potential and then know the boats limitations in rough water.

By no means am I bashing the OP because that is not my intent. I just think people get caught up in what they need to fish a tournament. Yes there is advantages to a 21 ft boat with 250 HP duel anchors a 4 graphs with SI,DI, 360 and panoptics and all the latest technology. I think what has happened over the years is the public has been made to believe you need bigger and more advance stuff to compete. It would be foolish to say it does not help however I am not convinced you need it to competitive.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    If your worried about getting beat up in rough water take a bug boat off your list.
    My thought as well....
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Banned
    P2 is PLENTY fine!

4. Member
    I totally hear you JR, no offense taken. I feel like I can run a boat in rough water pretty good. I started in an 18 ft ranger and learned the ropes with that boat, than purchased this boat last year.

5. Member
    There was a time not all that long ago a 19' boat was HUGE, ran 18'6 boats at lake Mead all the time (for literally decades) 50 mile runs up to Gregg Basin not uncommon. When the wind comes up and big rollers start coming at ya it sucks to be on the water period. New big boats are super cool, but we been fishing big lakes for many years out of much less boat with just as much success. Dual bilge pumps are a fantastic idea on any bass boat, and make sure you check them and your float switches regularly.

6. Member
    Couldn't agree more with Jr19. Everybody is convinced that they have to have the latest & greatest & that's simply not the case. I just bought a generation 1 helix 9 to replace a 798 with over 1200 hours on it at the bow to prove the point that i suck just as bad with that helix 9. In my case bigger isn't necessarily better.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    We are men...it’s a measuring contest! The OP’s boat is plenty and if he can afford to repower with an SHO that will sip gas compared to older carb motors that will be a great set up.

I think JR19 said it best, case closed!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Never been on any of those lakes but I do run a P2 on Lake Michigan fairly often (not known as a calm body of water) and also Lake Winnebago and it does just fine. I actually think that it may have some advantages over bigger boats just due to it's throttle response. Good luck in the Costas!

A good friend of mine fished the FLW Tour with a Nitro Z8. Made some checks and the Cup. He did fine in a smaller boat.

10. Member
    The boat doesn’t catch fish you do,your P-2 is plenty of boat on any of the lakes you listed ,win one of those tournaments and you can get what you want👍🏻😁

I ran around Rayburn and Conroe year round in nasty stuff in a PII...prop it right and just take it easy in the big stuff...no problem.

Keep the cat!
    I BELIEVE!!!!

13. Member
    It ain't what you go in its what you bring back.

14. Member

15. Member
    One of the best local sticks up here on Champlain won just about everything you can win this year including the BASS Open out of a Phoenix 919 with HDS 7s and no shallow water anchors. Biggest boat I’ve seen him in and has been very competitive at the AAA level for many years on Champlain, not many lakes get rougher. Your boat is enough to compete.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12