Weedless ned rig heads

I have never tried a weedless ned rig jighead for no particular reason. It does get hung up in the grass a lot. Would appreciate others' experience on fishing a weedless head in terms of hook up rate/lost fish etc....

2. Member
    All I fish is the Zman weedless headhunter I fish mostly river type structure, a lot wood and rock. I've never tried it in grass. I dot feel like I lose any fish because of the weed guard.

I've actually found that the weed guarded versions get hung up in the grass worse than the ones without. Much bigger profile I suppose. I haven't tried the new Finesse BulletZ jighwads that Z-Man introduced recently, though I suspect they'll come through grass probably the best out of all the options.

I've gone exclusively to using board sponsor North Metro Bass Academy heads for Ned rigs otherwise. They're built around an Owner hook that's the perfect size (not oversized or too heavy for the technique like you'll see from others trying to get a stronger hook into these heads), extremely sharp, strong, and it somehow keeps them pegged better than others I've tried. They have the most durable powder paint I've ever seen. The bait keeper is the wire type that holds whatever plastic you want to stick on them. PM Steve if you want to try some some, his BBC username is bonebaby0. He has them in both weedless and regular versions.

Here's a thread from relatively recently that had a ton of discussion about using and not using weed guards on them. A ton of good info in there.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I use a Stan Sloan Ninny Fly head with the dual cable weed guards. I like'em! They come through the grass clean and do not affect hooking success.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I got to try these this past weekend and really like them, basically, a texas rig
    Finesse BulletZ jig heads

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRngR View Post
    I got to try these this past weekend and really like them, basically, a texas rig
    Finesse BulletZ jig heads
    Makes me wonder how important the mushroom head is? Why wouldn't the ned rig work as well with any really light jig head? I get the whole light weight/gliding presentation but wouldn't a darter head be even better?

7. Dogfish_Jones
    I fish with the Z-man weedless shroom head a good bit. I have not really noticed a big difference in losing fish from the other style (non-weedless).
    I tend to use the weedless when I am going to drag the Ned Rig. If I am going to hop it, I then go to the non-weedless.
    I think the only difference in the catching and boating them comes when you are having those little fish hit the weedless, they tend to not get that good hook-set. Anything over 1 pond..no difference to me that I have found.
    I do spread the two wire guards out some to make it easy enough to flatten out when a fish does hit on it.

8. BBC SPONSOR

​Picasso Aaron Martens Weedless Rhino Neds

We will be shipping these next week.......CORRECTION

AVAILABLE NOW!!!!!

https://www.picassooutdoors.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWRN

https://www.picassooutdoors.com/Prod...#vCSS_mainform
    Last edited by limit5bass; 11-21-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by limit5bass View Post
    ​Picasso Rhino Ned

We will be shipping these next week.

https://user-pyajmgi.cld.bz/Picasso-Catalog/44/
    Do the weedguards retain/return to their original shape after catching a fish or do they bend?

​Picasso Rhino Ned

We will be shipping these next week.

https://user-pyajmgi.cld.bz/Picasso-Catalog/44/
    These look pretty nice, but the hooks are way too big for a Ned rig. Would make a decent "jig worm" or shakey head I suppose.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Hooks are way too big for a Ned rig. Would make a decent "jig worm" or shakey head I suppose.
    I agree. Hooks that large detract from the seductive flex of the TRD or similar being used.

12. Member
    I don't have grass but rarely hang a ned rig head, without a weed guard.

13. Member
    The image is a bit deceiving, they have what a Gamakatsu calls a 2/0 hook. But the hook actually runs much smaller than that and is more like a 1/0.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Do the weedguards retain/return to their original shape after catching a fish or do they bend?

YES they do ........Return to their original shape that is the advantage of Nickle Titanium over stainless wire.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    I agree. Hooks that large detract from the seductive flex of the TRD or similar being used.
    The image is a bit deceiving, they have what a Gamakatsu calls a 2/0 hook. But the hook actually runs much smaller than that and is more like a 1/0.

YES they do ........Return to their original shape that is the advantage of Nickle Titanium over stainless wire.

17. Member
    You need to look up Joey at Flatlands Tackle.. He's got exactly what you're looking for.. He's now starting to make them with up to a 3/0 hook.. I've been fishing them for about a year and they have a great hook up ratio.. You can find his original smaller version on the Tackle Warehouse site..

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Makes me wonder how important the mushroom head is? Why wouldn't the ned rig work as well with any really light jig head? I get the whole light weight/gliding presentation but wouldn't a darter head be even better?
    It's where the weight is located on the jig head. If you're looking for a gliding action, the darter head will work better, but once it gets to the bottom you won't have the same tail straight up presentation that you get with a mushroom head.

19. Member
    i use a shakey head with 5 inch trd

20. Member
    i pour my own and use a 60 lb coated leader as a weed guard. works quite well and its just enough to prevent most snags - however, most of my snags are caused by rocks, not grass.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle