Lee bottom pour pot question

Hey guys,

Just got myself a bottom pour lead pot. First time using a bottom pour. What heat setting do you typically use? Also any tricks for keeping the spout from clogging up? Thanks!

2. Member
    Temp varies for different baits but 9 is a good starting point.

As for clogging try to use the cleanest lead you can find but it will still clog.

Allen

I run mine on high 100% of the time.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Banned
    I run mine just below 6. Anything less and the jigs don't pour properly. If you're pouring jigs that are lighter than 1/4oz then up the temp setting to pour.

I take a screw driver and aggressively rotate the pin that opens and closes the spout back and forth. It will temporarily stop the leak from the clog

5. Member
    Thanks guys!

6. Member
    Clogging was never my problem with the Lee pot. A spinnerbait wire would clean it out in a flash. My problem was the leaking.

7. Member
    100% to melt of course. I dial it back to about 7-8 as I usually pour 3/4 -1oz jigs & spinnerbaits. With all that lead, molds really get HOT if you don't dial down the heat. Very rare to get a bad pour once the mold heats up. JMO

8. Member
    Does anyone still smoke their molds? I know it sure helped when I was pouring my own spinnerbaits and jigs. Especially on the smaller sizes, or ones with some detailing in them.

As far as temp, 100% to get the initial melt going, then I'd dial it back to 7. As far as the tip clogging or leaking goes, I never really had a problem with it. I used Lyman #2 lead. It pours beautifully, is hard as heck, and pretty clean as I never really had a lot of slag that I needed to clean off the top.

Good stuff.

9. Member
    i run mine on 9. as for clogging, i solved the problem by getting an allen wrench that fits in the spout very tightly.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    Does anyone still smoke their molds? I know it sure helped when I was pouring my own spinnerbaits and jigs. Especially on the smaller sizes, or ones with some detailing in them.

As far as temp, 100% to get the initial melt going, then I'd dial it back to 7. As far as the tip clogging or leaking goes, I never really had a problem with it. I used Lyman #2 lead. It pours beautifully, is hard as heck, and pretty clean as I never really had a lot of slag that I needed to clean off the top.

Good stuff.
    Frankfort Arsenal Drop Out spray instead of smoking.