Water Pressure Sensor?

I was told that these 4 strokes don't come with a water pressure sensor and water pressure isn't that critical on these motors. I also heard that it will alarm when it reaches the overheat temperature setting. Down here in the south, we are constantly battling low water pressure with the shallow water, hyacinths and lily pads etc. What are your thoughts on this? I know I can add a sensor and gauge but it seems risky for Mercury not to monitor this.

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    I have added it to my R motor. It reads on my MerMoitor and my vessel view (Lowrance Gen 3) I would not run without it.

Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    I have added it to my R motor. It reads on my MerMoitor and my vessel view (Lowrance Gen 3) I would not run without it.
    What water pressure are these motors running at WOT?

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    The new 4s Pro Xs motors do not come with a WP sensor because there are several options for displaying WP; digital, analog and direct hose to the gauge. The boat manufacture or rigger has to install the proper sensor. Water pressure is just as important as in any other outboard. I usually see 28-30 psi at WOT with my 250 Pro Xs 4s
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rhonda can set you up with the necessary items- see the FAQ Section for a parts-list (gives both an Analog and Digital option).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor