RT188 Livewell/Bilge Question

Does the livewell overflow drain into the bilge? I noticed my bilge kick on a couple of times yesterday...pumped out quite a bit of water. Drain plug was in, I have no leaks that I'm aware of. Thanks!
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

No - it exits out the transom through a hose. The hose is routed through the bilge, so if there's a bad connection or a break it will drain into the bilge...

I would put the hose in the bilge for a few minutes while on the trailer in your driveway and look for leaks. Or it could be the drain plug not sealing correctly?
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

3. Member
    Check the drain plug. Just based on what I've read on here prior to getting my 2017 about that drain plug leaking, I always put a little lube on the oring a couple times a year, twist hand tight and then have some flat nose pliers that I turn it 1/4 turn more. RT drain plugs are notorious for not sealing well without "over tightening"

4. Member
    Thanks guys, I will check this stuff out.

I hate that drain plug...feels so cheap and flimsy.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jv83 View Post
    I hate that drain plug...feels so cheap and flimsy.
    I totally concur
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

I copied this from a previous post: may not be your problem but the pump is capable of pumping in more water than the overflow drain can discharge. The valve I show is on a livewell that does not have pumpout, I don’t know what type discharge valve is on the ones with pump out.

1) Often the Livewell will overflow into the bilge or the back deck. This occurs because the pump can produce more flow than the overflow can drain away and occurs more frequently when you have someone on the back deck. To fix this, reach behind the input nozzle and you will feel a valve lever, close it slightly to reduce the flow. If you don’t have enough clearance to rotate the lever you can unscrew the valve, set the lever, and then reattach.
    2) Because the livewell fills and drains through the same valve, it occasionally becomes clogged with debris from the bottom of the Livewell. The second Pic shows the screen I used to solve the problem but TH Marine sells a wire mesh screen that works better.
    BTW: The second picture also shows how I raised the center divider to prevent 12 inch Bass from jumping over and mixing with your partners.

Attached Thumbnails

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    Thanks Bill. My livewell came with a screen that keeps that keeps most the debris out of the drain. I was fishing with a co-angler when this occurred (usually fish solo). Maybe this was my problem. I still haven't had time to get her out of the garage and run water through the overflow to test for a leak.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019

Thanks for the suggestion on the screen. The one I have is made by Rule. I cut 4 slots in the base, so the water will drain completely fro the live well. Then lightly glued it in place.
    I was having issues moving the selector lever. Lubed all the linkage, then back flushed the lines, to finally clear valve.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest